Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear experts!,
The other day i was brousing the web everything was fine but the computer was running slower than usual, and often froze, i didnt download anything, and my computer is protected anti-virus/firewall etc. I came to turn the computer off and it wouldnt switch off, after half an hour i just flicked the off switch in frustration, (i know something that i should never do), anyway the next day i came to the computer and noticed that the mouse was still on, even though the computer was switched off. It wouldnt re-boot when i switched it on, blue screen with an error message kept appearing, so naturally i run CHKDSK, this didnt do anything, in fact it just froze half way through the process, so then i tried to repair the windows program with the back up disc, this didnt work it installed the files but when the computer was re-booted but nothing, not even the blue screen. After long thought i had decided to re-format deleting the partition and installing windows on raw partition, this didnt work either this stopped half way through saying that it couldnt create a windows file, cant remember which one it was though. Then i deleted the partition manually using the dos commands then re-installed windows fresh, this worked, i am back on the os but everytime i come to switch on the computer a white lined bar comes on the bottom of the screen which takes ages to boot up, when before it was instant, i was wondering is this a problem with the bios settings? can i switch this off whatever it is? is it a problem with the hard drive because i had problems deleating the partition?
Please help someone! :4-dontkno

Anthony Riley

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I wouls relocate the hard drive to an computer and config as a slave / then run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility to be sure the drive is not dying

Then it sounds to me like you have either a heat or voltage problem when you say the computer seemed to be running at half speed?????? sounds like the processor maybe in a throttled down state / as cuased by heat.

Heat can be generated by two causes / poor cooling or low voltage ~~ low voltage or erratic voltage builds resistance = heat accumultion

I would download sandra lite utility (free) and monitor and post you system temps, system voltages and cpu voltages in here for evaluation.

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

also please give us the maker and model of your PSU

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!
That was quick, i expected you to reply in a weeks time,
.... i do now think that it is a malfuction of the hard drive and it probably is dying like you said, i don't think that it will be the PSU as the computer is factory assembled and the power hasn't been tweeked, and is still in the original factory settings.
One thing does bother me though is that the computer is only 1 year old, how long do hard drives last? how do they die? and about the diagnostic utility that you told me about will i be able to download it from the MAXTOR website?

Yours in despair Anthony Riley :1angel:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Anthony : <<< good sense of humor anyway >> very refreshing

Maxtor's my friend in MY opinion are junk !! we see them crapping out all the time / they account for the lions share by FAR of dying drives

yes you can download the diagnostic utility off maxtor website

seagate is the drive to buy / 5 year warranty

western digital >> very good also

I suggest you go to ebay and search for a NEW western digital 40 gig hard drive / they can be bought cheap (less than $40.00) then if you computer can still start / i will send you to a cloning prog site so you can copy your entire drive contents to the new drive and boot from it like nothing happened / except little HAL dipped in your pocket alittle bit !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Joe,
I downloaded the diagnostic utility for the maxtor hard drive ( you know the ones that keep crapping out! :laugh: ) And everything came up smelling of roses and showed no faults.
...So i sat around scratching my head for a while and noticed Morgud's Erasure Suite (MES) - version 2.0 on download.com, which apparently wipes clean the hard drive to its original state, or so it says. So i tried this and re-formatted without any hitches, and everything is perfect now, i don't have any problems starting up, and the computer runs at normal speed. I don't know what caused this, like i say my computer was fully protected, i guess that my hard drive was full of junk and couldn't take anymore, and crapped out! :grin:
So i think that i will take your advice and invest some funds in a seagate hard drive, as they are so highly rated.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Anthony Riley

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Anthony:

I am very appreciative that you took the time to let us know how you solved your problem. It keeps us on the ball and the info flowing!!

Just to let you know / all windows OS's will get cluttered with crap files and old program remenats in the registry which will make it run like crap and eventaully come to a grinding crawl. Usually it doesnt happen until about two years though ?????

I would suggest you download and make a habit of frequntly running counterspy made by sunbelt software (free 15 day trial) and adaware SE (free) you can google search for them.

Run together / they are unbeatable and a invaluable tool for keeping the clutter under control.

I applaud your method of cleaning your drive (zero fill program) and not just relying on a format to clean and wipe the drive !! your method ensures the best success to getting a "clean" start

regards & happy computing

joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.