1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
p4 1.7
ram 768
radeon 9600 pro

i know this is a low end system but i play doom3 and cod with decent fps and res
however i cant get above 15 fps on cs source even with newest drivers and settings on low with 800 res
now i dont expect much but at least a 40 fps so the game is playable [i get 99 on cs 1.6] would be nice
has anyone any tips that maybe would get me around 40 fps???
or is the system that old ?and source too power hungry?

i do have room to increase ram to 1.3 giga if that would make much difference

i am not buying a new pc just to play Cs source i will stick to 1.6 if i have to even though i do like source
thanks

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
make sure your DirectX is updated to the latest(9.0c). If not go to http://www.microsoft.com and search for directx and download it and install it

grab driver cleaner ( http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ) and install it and clean off any ATI drivers on your harddrive, then reboot.

Grab the latest Catalyst 5.8 drivers from ATI's website ( ATI Driver/Support site )

now install the drivers and see if anything changed

if still no change please do as the following:
Start
Run
dxdiag
let it finish loading
bottom right between exit and nextpage press save all info
save it to your desktop and post it here

i might be able to find a problem in there

you can also try this, go into the developers console in css (if not enabled go to options,keyboard,advanced and enable the console) now type rate 9999
and press enter and test if that changed. Also see if you are loosing or dropping/chokeing any packets (type net_graph 3 in console to see that)

if you are chokeing or dropping or loosing packets then it is cause of your rate, play around with the numbers. Some common ones are: 20000,25000,9999

let me know if anything worked

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
low fps rad 9600 pro on cs source dxdiag reply

Fr4665 said:
make sure your DirectX is updated to the latest(9.0c). If not go to http://www.microsoft.com and search for directx and download it and install it

grab driver cleaner ( http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ) and install it and clean off any ATI drivers on your harddrive, then reboot.

Grab the latest Catalyst 5.8 drivers from ATI's website ( ATI Driver/Support site )

now install the drivers and see if anything changed

if still no change please do as the following:
Start
Run
dxdiag
let it finish loading
bottom right between exit and nextpage press save all info
save it to your desktop and post it here

i might be able to find a problem in there

you can also try this, go into the developers console in css (if not enabled go to options,keyboard,advanced and enable the console) now type rate 9999
and press enter and test if that changed. Also see if you are loosing or dropping/chokeing any packets (type net_graph 3 in console to see that)

if you are chokeing or dropping or loosing packets then it is cause of your rate, play around with the numbers. Some common ones are: 20000,25000,9999

let me know if anything worked
no prob with packet loss got new drivers cleaned old got 23 fps but still unplayable need least 35 4o

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
ebackhus said:
Get a new CPU, that P4 in there is too old to properly run today's software.
For counter-strike source you dont need the best performance cpu, you can play source with 60fps on a cheap athlon 1.3ghz. I dont think the p4 is the bottle neck here. And also as he mentioned that he gets decent fps in doom3 and doom3 has way higher requirements then source. I got a p3 1ghz with a geforce2 ultra and it runs it at like 60fps(not the directx9 feautures like reflections n stuff).

Maybe a reinstall of source will do the job, some engine/3d what ever files might be corrupt not sure. This sounds like a game problem more and more ...
Try running HL2 and see how you do frames wise in that.

Besides the stuff i would have done i got no clue :( maybe upgrade to an AMD system if your into gaming but i think your system right now could do better...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.