Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my problem is this...
I came home 2 or 3 weeks ago to find my computer just finished downloading and updating my mcafee total protection 2007.. so thats fine.
but I goto use my web browser (IE7) and I get the "unable to find website.. ect) so I checked my internet (cable) and its working just fine.
check my router. no problems there.
so whats up? any suggestions?
I went to the mcafee website and sought help thru them.. they were about as helpful as a todler wouldve been...
Im using my secondary computer to find help, so please please help!

· TSF Emeritus
15,171 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF :wavey:

I have attached a zip file to this post please download it. Put it on a Pen drive/CD/ floppy etc. Transfer it to the computer that can not connect to the Internet, extract the zip file to your desktop. You should now have DNS Fix.bat on your desktop. Please run it. You will have to restart your computer once it is run.

Attachments

G

·
Hi silentscope1982 and welcome to TSF :wave:

It has come to my attention that you have acquired an issue with your networking. Please follow the steps below for me to acquire information about where this issue is coming from:

Windows XP Method

• Click on the Start Menu
  • Cick on Run
  • Type in "cmd" and click Ok

In this new box I would like you to type in "ipconfig /all" (there is a space between ipconfig and /all) and hit the enter key. Afterwards, right click in a blank black area of the box and click on Select All. After the whole box is highlighted just hit the enter key. Then paste the results of that command back in your next post :smile:.

It has come to my attention that you are having a issue with your internet. Here are some basic steps and fixes to follow to make sure that everything is working correctly. Follow these steps and make sures as carefully as possible.

First make sure that your topology looks like this:

This is the basic home, star topology, and this is what your network should look like. Make sure of all the connections are tight and try the connections with a known working cable.

After doing all of this try recycling the power, on the modem and router. You can do this by taking the power cord out of both and leaving it out for about 1 minute each. Then reinsert the plug and wait for both to boot up.

Just as a note, I am not at all good at how networking and things work, as I just know the most basic commands and fixes. We will probably have to transfer you over to the Networking Forum, if I can not fix this as Johnwill (Head of Networking Forum) can for sure

G

·
Try this:

Johnwill said:
Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Try these commands taken straight from one of Johnwill's posts, all rights go to Johnwill for this :grin:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay tried this still no luck..
it cant be my network or my connection because I am using the same connection on this computer thru my router and theres no problems with this one.
plus, I am still able to use my msn, my full tilt poker, and my limewire on the affected computer.. its just the web browsers that wont work... ive even tried downloading firefox on this computer, burning it to a disk and installing it on my other computer to see if it was a IE7 problem.. it didnt work either.. Any other ideas?

G

·
Okay, well like I said, I'm not at all good at networking :smile:. Do not worry about posting in Networking, I will have this thread moved personally :grin:.

G

·
It has come to my attention that you have acquired an issue with your networking. Please follow the steps below for me to acquire information about where this issue is coming from:

Windows XP Method

• Click on the Start Menu
  • Cick on Run
  • Type in "cmd" and click Ok

In this new box I would like you to type in "ipconfig /all" (there is a space between ipconfig and /all) and hit the enter key. Afterwards, right click in a blank black area of the box and click on Select All. After the whole box is highlighted just hit the enter key. Then paste the results of that command back in your next post :smile:.

Please follow this

Hoping Johnwill will save me :laugh:
@doncruise: You should have directed to him what services. If he disabled services that go towards Windows accidently, we could have more issues to work with. Try and be consistent with your posts but you do make a good point there.

@silenscope: What security are you using, preferably what firewall, anti-virus, or on protecting anti-spyware cleaners?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.