Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell 566 system that is about 3 years old. My 20 gig hd was getting a little crowded so a friend of mine got me a used 40 gig from his work that he said worked fine. I went to add the 40 as a slave and it didn't detect either one. So i took it back out and just ran the original again. Didn't find it either. I tried back and forth between the 2 hd's and can get a read on either. I called tech support and we went thru all the tests and found nothing. The guy said my motherboard had gone bad. Well my system was slow anyway so i ordered a PC DDR 266 motherboard bundle off of ebay which consists of a mobo/cpu/and onboard sound/video and lan cards. All i had to do was add my hard drive and memory. I hooked everything up correctly and on the first boot it found my hard drive but gave me an error message saying that windows would not boot due to some internal error. So i took the hd out to check and see if the jumpers were set correctly and they were so I booted back up and now it doesn't recognize the hard drive. My new system won't recognize either hard drive which I know are perfectly fine. Please help guys! Here is the new system I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2049993591

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Welcome sidearm! Dell is NOTORIOUS for using "cable select" cables in their machines, so check first to see if the original drive has its jumper set to"CSEL". If so, move it to "master" and set the other one to "slave". Try this first and let us know back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hard drives

my original was set as cable select, but i've tried moving the jumpers all around in every aspect. none of them allow the pc to recognize it. right now i'm just trying to get my original drive back up running alone. i've tried going back to cable select and master both. no dice :( Thanks for the reply.

Brandon

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums sidearmbandit..................:D

If this system did not come with IDE cables and you are using an old ATA33 cable on the hard drive you may need an ATA 66/100 cable.

The ATA 33 has 40 wires and the ATA 66/100 has 80 wires and the blue end must be connected to the motherboard..........:winkgrin:

And if it is a WD hard drive take all the jumpers off if it is to be used alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are your thoughts on my similar situation wherein XP Pro does not see added HDD ?

I changed Maxtor 13MB jumper to master, slaved Maxtor 46MB.
Both report correctly at boot. XP Disk Management finds one HDD.

Dell BIOS is settable to boot from slave. Slave contains 98,
98 handles both HDDs as expected.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums leugim.................................:D

This is known as highjacking someone elses thread.

Would you be kind enough to start a new thread on your particular problem...........Thank You.......:winkgrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.