Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Practically everytime I start up my computer, when it brings up the desktop then this error appears:

Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL
Explorer will now close.

It frequently is accompanied by this error message as well:

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop is not accessible.
The system cannot open the file.

When I close the error boxes, the computer freezes (mouse pointer will not move, etc.) and I cannot restart the computer using the CTRL+ALT+DEL method. This means I have to turn it off manually, which, of course, is bad for my computer. I'd really like a solution to this problem.

Right now I just continue to turn it off manually, and try and try again until the error isn't there and when this does happen, the computer works fine. But this rarely happens. It only works about every 2 out of 10 tries.

My computer's OS is Windows ME, it's a Compaq Presario 5000 Series, 5012US.

I know that Windows ME is not the greatest operating sytem, but right now I cannot afford to get Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,821 Posts
Please download HijackThis. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there. Run a scan and save the log file. Post the whole log file here. Do not fix anything since most of them listed there are harmless (some are system required). This program will help us determine if there is any spyware/malware on your computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.