Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Situation is: I have linked 3 computers and an X-box to my router. For about 10 months now, and in those 10 months I occasionally had to re-setup the network using the Software that was included in the Router package. This is no problem, I simply connect straight from my modem to my computer then use the program to setup the router to my other computers. Recently though, I can only set up the network for about 20 minutes then I get no service literally. The Modem is still working to my knowledge, and my Service is still going strong. So this leaves me to come to the conclusion that it is my router. I'm using a BEFSR41 Linksys Router (which i want to blow up) and I follow the instructions to the T. I'm not totally illiterate, but still a nubile nooblet when it comes to this stuff. PLZ HLP! I'm a gamer, and I'm not exactly trying to quit cold turkey here lol.
Questions:
1. I'm clueless on how to turn off the routers Firewall.
2. I don't know how to port forward, or open ports **I know what they are, just can't do it**

Can't think of any other details, I'm just hoping for LOTS of help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
few things plug one of the computers directly to the modem and make sure it works propery if it does do the following. Go to your Linksys web managment usually is like this (open your browser type: www.192.168.1.1) it will ask you for a password if you haven't change anything username is blank password is admin.

Go there make sure that Internet Configuration tye is set to Automatic Configuration DHCP

Also you can go to forwarding tab and forward the ports necessary for the game you are playing. To find which ports need to be forwarded you will have to do a search or read the manual. Or you can set it in DMZ mode this will forward all your ports I suggest dmz since you don't have to worry about which ports to forward

·
Registered
3 Posts
dude04 said:
(open your browser type: www.192.168.1.1)
um... https://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.1

And the router may not be the problem. I would check the modem, set your computer up hardwired (stright into the modem, bypassing the router), see if that works when the network is down. Triple check that.. If the internet is down after that, then you know its the modem, or something of that sort. If it isn't, you've got your router configured incorrectly (or something) Either way,I'll help ya out.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have you reset the router to factory defaults? Have you checked to see if there is any updated firmware for the router?

You can't really turn off the router's firewall, since the major component of a SOHO router's "firewall" is the NAT layer that's essential to it's operation.

Forwarding ports should be explained in your router's manual. I don't have a Linksys, so I can't do a step-by-step for that operation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.