Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP: Computer Stops at Windows Start Up Screen

Hello, I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

I have an hp media center pc m470n running XP and it will not start up normally. When it boots up to the Windows Screen it just sits there and spins with nothing.

What I have done so far: This has been a problem for two weeks??

I have tried a system restore with no luck (says the computer could not restore to the date; I have tried three dates) and tried booting to the "Last known good configuration," with no luck.

I have no problems starting it up in Safe Mode. I first stopped the software from starting; meaning I went to run, typed msconfig and unchecked all of the boxes under the startup tab. I then restarted my computer with the same result. I then shut it down again and unplugged all of my hardware, except my mouse and keyboard to make sure I didn't have a hardware problem, then rebooted with the same result. I ran my norton antivirus, adware, and Registry Mechanic in same mode; then restarted with the same result. I have now rechecked all of the boxes in my start up (msconfig) and plugged all of the hardware in again. I again restarted and the same thing happened.

I then got mad and completed a destructive restore, which took my hard drive back to how it came out of the box and got the computer to start up after a few tries normally. I completed all of the software updates from Microsoft and the computer worked fine for two weeks. I got up this morning it the computer was running real slow, so I Shut it down and went to work. I got home tried to turn it on and it got stuck at the windows screen again.

I then went through all of the steps I listed above again without the destructive restore and it is doing it again.

Please help. Thanks a lot,
Clarke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

I have an hp media center pc m470n running XP and it will not start up normally. When it boots up to the Windows Screen it just sits there and spins with nothing.

What I have done so far: This has been a problem for two weeks??

I have tried a system restore with no luck (says the computer could not restore to the date; I have tried three dates) and tried booting to the "Last known good configuration," with no luck.

I have no problems starting it up in Safe Mode. I first stopped the software from starting; meaning I went to run, typed msconfig and unchecked all of the boxes under the startup tab. I then restarted my computer with the same result. I then shut it down again and unplugged all of my hardware, except my mouse and keyboard to make sure I didn't have a hardware problem, then rebooted with the same result. I ran my norton antivirus, adware, and Registry Mechanic in same mode; then restarted with the same result. I have now rechecked all of the boxes in my start up (msconfig) and plugged all of the hardware in again. I again restarted and the same thing happened.

I then got mad and completed a destructive restore, which took my hard drive back to how it came out of the box and got the computer to start up after a few tries normally. I completed all of the software updates from Microsoft and the computer worked fine for two weeks. I got up this morning it the computer was running real slow, so I Shut it down and went to work. I got home tried to turn it on and it got stuck at the windows screen again.

I then went through all of the steps I listed above again without the destructive restore and it is doing it again.

Please help. Thanks a lot,
Clarke
Did you check the RAM? and usual temps on MB and CPU. I have made mistakes on this before. Be careful to check everthing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.