Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just registered to ask this question hope you guys can help.

I am trying to build a new computer, something I have done twice before so I am not completely ignorant about. Anyways, I hooked up everything in the case, flipped the switch on the PSU (green light comes on on Mobo) and hit the power button. After doing this, everything turns on for a split second (fans, LEDs, optical drives) and then immediately turns off. If I hit the power button again, nothing happens BUT if I hold the power button down (like if I was manually turning off a working computer) and THEN hit the button again, the system again turns on and then quickly off again.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I am preety sure I have everyting hooked up right (Ive done this before) and im preety sure my 500 watt PSU is sufficient for my setup, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is my setup:

AMD X2 4200+ Manchester
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Mobo
4 x 512 kb Corsair Valueselect DIMMS
XFX Geforce 7800GT
Maxtor 300GB SATA HDD

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
first check you have all the power leads required connected
if you have
set it up out of the case with
cpu
ram
video
if it posts check that you have the correct amount of standoffs for the m/b and they are lined up with the holes in the m/b
what brand and wattage is the p/s

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this exact problem on my very first build. Was too new to figure it out. Fortunately my neighbor was smarter and more experienced than me.
Turns out the Power supply was bad from the factory. My neighbor scavenged one from one of his many computers and lent it to me to test my computer. It worked perfectly and I purchased new power supply.
Good luck
Uarisk :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I believe you are a victim of your PSU. Your sytem consiting of a Dual Core CPU and PCI express SLI system is a real power munger. You will need a 600 watt Enermax PSU make sure the one you select is an SLI ready unit. Check on ebay or newegg.com

If I remember correctly an SLI dual core board needs about 16 amps just to fire up / that means you will need a PSU that delivers at least 19 amps on the 12V rail ( 20 amps is much better) / because a PSU that delivers say 17 amps will fluctuate enough being pused to the limits of its ability to make the PSU shutdown.

If possible try another PSU from a buddy or ??????

Also Dai's suggestion of bench testing (outside the case) is an excellent idea / I would definetly try that first / only connect the bare essentials like
PSU connected to mobo, cpu & fan , gfx card, one stick of memory (check mobo manual for correct slot to use for single stick config)
I suggest using a paperclip to jump the pins normally occupied by the case switch. Make sure you put the mobo on a non-conductive surface / may favorite tis the mobo box itself / that way you can hang the riser card edge of the mobo off the box just enought the video card will seat properly.

Carefully and closely look at your mobo connectors and psu connectors for signs of burnt pins ( low voltage = resistance=heat)

let us know how your progress / ask more questions if needed !!

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.