Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with media playback. Most types seem to skip regularly, mp3s always skip. Does this when using WMP, so I installed Winamp3. Still skips.

It's like the buffer runs out but I find that hard to believe. PC is P4 HT on Intel D875 m/b with 1Gb DDR400 ram running dual channel. HDD is Baracuda SATA, sound is Vibra 128.

I'm not talking about online content, PC is not connected to internet or any other PC for that matter. Have changed the buffer's default setting from 5 seconds (I think that's what it was) to various other settings with no change. I have updated drivers etc, nothing has an impact on this problem. Doesn't matter if I have other applications running or not, the problem gets not better or worse.

Has anyone had problems with the Vibra sound cards. I have installed many without anything like this happenning. Have had similar problems with the Live! and PCI Digital etc but have been able to work those out.

No other problems with PC, plays and burns DVD fine. I have a miniDV video camera and have no problems with editing. I don't play any h/w intensive games although I have mame and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check this,
-You have the proper audio sources selected on the control panel

then

go into control panel, system, advanced, performance settings, advanced tab, set processor schedueling and memory usage to programs and set the virtural memory as high as possible.

Check your devices in device manager to be sure that they are all
working properly
Marc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input Marc. I checked that, it's something else. I ran Stat Bar and watch it while playing music. the CPU utilization flicks between 0 and 1 percent. Memory at 800+ megs out of 1024 free. I think I'll replace the sound card when I have time, unless someone out there has another idea.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are your monitor settings? You may need to lower them a bit. Some video cards can play havoc with sound.

Also, are you defragging your HDs regularly? Sector fragmentation can cause all sorts of sound problems and harm your PCs performance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monitor is set to 800x600. Got home last night and played some mp3s. Skipped straight away and regularly. Replaced sound card with same model and moved it to the next PCI slot. Played perfectly for over half an hour. Not getting excited though as it played properly for a day after instaling Wnamp. Will test more when I have time. Thanks to Ghrrom and music freak for your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe...

Not sure if this'll do ya any good or not, but it's easy enough to try...

Go to WMP/Tools/Options/Devices. Select the applicable drive and then click Properties. On the Audio tab be sure that you are NOT using 'Error Correction'. If "Use error corrections " is selected, it will cause skips/blanks during playback.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jenny but I'm talking about all media, inc mp3s, not CDs. I mentioned I replaced the card in previous post. After having time to listen to it more...it still plays up. Music Freak mentioned problems with video cards, I guess it could be a compatibility problem so I may try another model. I'd like to replace the m/b but it would be with a D865 as I don't have another 875.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed it, you beauty. After trying a different video card, I replaced the Vibra with a Sound Blaster Live!. Works perfectly. Many thanks to those who gave their input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.