Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a new rig about a year ago and had not had any problems in that time.

But, recently I've been getting random BSoDs. No hardware or system changes to coincide with them.

They would come at anytime. Sometimes just after I'd hit the Windows boot screen, other times after running for a few minutes/hours. Sometimes while browsing the web, other times just sitting idle. Oddly enough, never while gaming (just lucky). Though rare, I would sometimes get a hang before POST.

I backup my system regularly. I restored a backup from a month prior, but still have the problem. That being said, I don't feel I have a OS or software problem.

The BSoDs have remarked of many different issues, some being:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
0x0000004E

BAD_POOL_CALLER
0x000000C2

CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM
0x00000026

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x00000000A

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x000000D1
VSDATANT.SYS (other times, no driver listed)

MEMORY_MANAGER
0x0000001A

0x0000007E

0x0000008E

NTFS.SYS (don't racall 0x code)

Sometimes after multiple failures/restarts my system then becomes corrupt and I have to restore my backup again.

I have tried three pairs of RAM and they have all have tested clean. I have disconnected all extra add-ons (drives, USB devices, etc.) and have tried a different system hard drive. I have only one PCIe video card, so I'm stuck on that one.

Now get this..

I finally got my hands on an alternate PSU and hooked that up. What do you know, the problem stopped, not a single hiccup... for about three weeks, that is.

Now it's all happening again, just as before. BSoDs happening anywhere from boot to a couple of hours later with the same errors as listed above.

I'm at a loss. What are the chances that two different PSU's would go bad with identical symptoms?

When I thought the PSU was the culprit, I RMA'd my original PSU (it's only a year old). I received the replacement, but had not installed it yet (been sick). After my rig started acting up again with the borrowed PSU, I connected the replacement PSU... still BSoDs. Now I feel it was not the problem after all. Why things were fine for three weeks after connecting the borrowed PSU? I don't know.

Temperature does not seem to be an issue according to temperature monitoring software. I also have a very well ventilated case, Coolermaster Cosmos S with seven 120mm fans and a 200mm in the side panel.

Any ideas?

Ron Odum
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Q6600
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1066 (2x1GB)
Video: ASUS 8800 GTS 512 (1)
Drives: WD 160GB (2), WD 500GB (4), Samsung DVD (2)
Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 750w (RMA’d), Temporarily using an Enermax 620w, now using replacement Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Hi,

There's a very good chance one of the three memory modules are defective. The best way to check is to use a single stick of RAM for a long period (a few days, or until it BSoD), if it does BSoD then remove the RAM and add a new module, repeat the process.

If you end up with a stable system with just one RAM module, the problem is obvious. If this doesn't seem to fix the problem then the issue obviously lies elsewhere, which we will go into more detail once you have tried this.

I take it you tried using memtest86 a few times on each memory module?

Is your system overheating? Try downloading speedfan and take some temperatures on your core hardware and let us know.

Do you have any PCI or PCI-e cards or even network adapters installed in your system that are relatively new or downloaded drivers for either of the above before the issues started happening?

Regards,
Nick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.