Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so, here is some background info:

im running:
WinXP and Ubuntu (diff hard-drives)
Proc: Intel P4 1.7ghz
Mem: 512mb (some off-brand)
Video: Radeon 9600xt (by Diamond, named 'Viper' or somthing like that)
etc etc..

the graphics card is a little odd.. because of the way my case is shaped, and the mobo it has, the graphics card doesnt fit in all the way..
It fits into the AGP slot, but the little plastic latch cant close on it, due to the crampedness, one of the video cards heatsinks comes in contact with one of the RAM's slot latch (thus disabling the card from being latched in) it never caused me any problems before..

another thing, I think the video cards fan stopped working.. so i compensated by taking one side of the case off and putting a box fan next to it.. I just have to clean the dust stuff out every week.. anyways..

I put the side back on and took it to a friends house for a small LAN.. I turned it on, forgetting I had not prep'd the box fan and the side panel was still on.. It worked fine, nothing bad happened, just regular ordinary stuff.. then I noticed it and powered down and set it up.. Now everything has a pink hue..

I have tried everything I know.. I cant get rid of the pink-ness.. this is definately a hardware problem, because the pink hue is always there, not just when windows is on.. i switch to ubuntu and its still there.. when I boot all the white letters are pink.. even now, this forum is a shade of pinkish purple..

Oh, and it's not my monitor.. because when I go into the monitors built-in menu's they are the right colors.. (which is mostly white or white-ish gray)..

I remember this happening to me before, but that time it was remedied simply by turning the computer off and back on.. like it was a glitch.. but nothing I do changes it..

Luckily I have a spare graphics card, albeit 5 years older than my current one.. If anyone knows how to fix this problem or has any suggestions at all, please, let me know..

·
Registered
426 Posts
I assume you are using VGA type monitor. Odd coloring is sometimes caused by one or more of the pins being damaged for the connector. Try a different monitor. The pin problem would only cause problems with the image, not the menu.

Also, as far as the fan not working, if it was not working the GPU would have already burnt up. The exterior fan would not matter. You should check to see that the fan has not stopped though, as that would be a serious problem. Just get a little pin or needle or something and find a space to insert it into the fan cage and see if it makes a noise...obviously if you can't get any noise, it's not working :D

Lastly you should really try to get it to seat all the way. If it's only a small area of the heatsink that is causing the problem, you could possibly take a dremel and shear the area off the heatsink. Maybe...I dunno about that card. Might damage it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I checked the pins on the cable.. they looked perfect...

after putting it back in, I turned the computer on and it booted in white (normal colors) then when it got to windows it was pink again..

So I let it rest for 8 hours.. I got on just now and EVERYTHING 'was' perfect.. no issues what-so-ever.. but 2 seconds ago it started 'fading'..

It is the right color, but it flickers and fades into the pinkish hue..

and by 'flickering' i mean that it's like:
white
light pink
shade of white
pink
dark pink
shade of white
white
pink
etc
etc

~EDIT
Ok, so I figured I would jiggle the cable where it connects to the video card.. apparently it was loose or something.. So i tightened it, which sort of helped.. but what seemed to help was when i slightly pushed down on the connector.. now it seems to be fine..

God, I hate this computer..

Thanks for all the help with trying to figure this out..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.