Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm just curious about something ! is there anyway I can block someone frpm pinging me or stop my machine from replying if they do ?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You shouldn't block all ICMP or you can cause some network problems. If you must block ICMP, then block it by "type". Here is a list of ICMP types.

To prevent people from pinging you, you should block ICMP type 8 (echo request) inbound, or ICMP type 0 (echo reply) outbound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Resolution how would I go about doing what you suggest? I don't know anything about "ICMP"

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you are behind a router, this will only work from within your private LAN. If you wish to block ping requests from the Internet, then you will have to block them from your router's configuration.

I also would like to say that I wouldn't recommend blocking ping requests. They are harmless, and I believe your ISP uses ping to test/debug your connection.

Okay. I downloaded Sygate just to help you out. :smile:

Open Sygate. At the top click Tools, then Advanced Rules. Click Ok to the information poup, and you should see the Advanced Rules window. Click Add, the click the "Ports and Protocols" tab. In the dropdown list choose ICMP, and it should give you a list of types. Put a check next to "Echo Request - 8". Look below the list and you should see a dropdown menu entitled "Traffic Direction". Choose "Incoming". Now click the General tab at the top. Add a rule description like "Block incoming ping requests". Now press OK. Then press OK again.

You should now be invincible. Well, maybe not, but your computer should be configured to block ping requests now. You can test it at Shields Up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.