Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Arizona from Texas about 6 months ago. There was no cable provider so I went with Qwest DSL. I immediately noticed higher pings. I play Call of Duty (vanilla and UO) and West coast servers I pinged at about 50 or lower on in Texas are now usually over 100. I used to be able to find servers that I could ping in the single digits on, now I'm happy to find one under 100. I contacted qwest and they supposedly ran some tests and said everything checked out. I thought it may have been old wiring in my apartment but I have the same issue in my new place. My bandwidth registers what it's supposed to be and I can't think of anything else on my end that would have an effect on my ping. The only changes I've done to my setup is to add another gig of ram and a fresh install of XP. Am I just screwed or is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The one thing you must remember is that DSL is a set bandwidth. It doesn't change.
Cable will fluctuate. One time you could have 512Kb, the next you could have 2Mb. I have had 5Mb peaks at times. It all depends on how many nodes are on a hub at a given time.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Actually, the thought that DSL is a fixed bandwidth is a myth. The only difference is that the bottleneck occurs in a different place, the CO instead of the distribution network. I have DSL clients that notice slowdowns in the evening when peak demand hits the network. FWIW, I have Comcast, and even at peak times, I still get 5mbit+ transfer speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.