Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I am a layman at pcs. However router maintainence diagnostics show Ping failure to preferred DNS server. I am suffering badly with dropouts and connectivity. Been in touch with server who has not helped much except to say there was a problem at exchange. Anyawy I cant help feel this ping failure needs to be put right. I tried ipconfig /all on Dos but it said command not recognized. Been suffering slow speeds - since yesterday 3977 wireless errors and 3977 drop outs - 64503 RS uncorrectable errors 23012 HEC errors - not sure waht they all mean but may be of help.Woulds appreciate any help you may give. Not even sure if this is aprobelm that can be put right my end. Merry Christmas all
derek

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
If your ISP have detected problems at the exchange, then it would be unwise to start altering any router or computer configuration until those have been resolved.

I'm not sure why the computer didn't recognize the valid cmd of ipconfig /all - unless you had mistyped it - so perhaps you could have other underlying problems, but have a read through these pre-posting network requirements and supply what you can http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-and-wireless-connectivity-issues-573730.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI
The exchange problem I am told has been repaired. My server is Tiscali ( Talk Talk) My pc is wired to D link router DSL-2680. Norton 360 antivirus.
I have now manged to run ipconfig and got the following

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-1519cbd529
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dlink.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dlink.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-7A-BF-3C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 23 December 2012 14:08:22
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 December 2012 14:08:22

C:\Documents and Settings\User>

Does this look right- should DNS server match IP address
Thanks for help
Kind regards
derek

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Yes, that looks okay as when the adapter is set to Obtain DNS server auto - you are using your ISP's default servers and will display as the router login address for the Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Servers - which isn't the IPv4 IP address.

Your ipconfig /all just shows an Ethernet adapter, but in your opening post, you say that you are getting wireless errors - does your computer have a wireless card in it and are any yellow alerts showing in Device Manager against the Network Adapters ?

As you say you are experiencing dropouts, then the HEC count is quite high for a comparatively short period and if you have tried the other ports in the router to ensure that the cable has a good fit, then you should contact TalKTalk and have them do a proper line test and not the quickie that is done when you first phone CS troubleshooting if you still get the DCs when plugged into the test socket behind the faceplate and have rebooted the router as well as trying another ethernet cable (if poss).

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
To add to what Tom is saying, The Default Gateway IP address is your Router. The DNS address should be your Router The DNS Suffix list is set to the DLink router. In some cases the ISP's DNS server listed instead.
Log into the Routers setup, and see if there is a setting for DNS and if it is is enabled with your ISP DNS severs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for your replies and I certainly will try and check all that you say.
I am afraid I do not have a great deal of faith in servers and their attitudes to customers. I e-mail them details of my speeds which in a single day will reach 4mbs but for most of the day settle at 1mbs and reduce to 0.8mbs at peak times. When they advertise speeds up to 16mbs and you get the speeds I do, it leaves you feeling cheated. I know the maximum I can get because of location etc is probably 6mbs and frankly I would be happy with a constant of approx 4mbs. Then you e-mail them and they tell you to phone at 5p a min and the lines are really busy and you hold on for ages. I have e-mailed them telling them of the ping failure test in my router diagnostics for preferred DNS server- no response. I have e-mailed them telling them of failure of ping to smtp.tiscali.co.uk on my e-mail- according to network analyzer in windows.
I have been into router settings but cannot find where the DNS server address is entered and I have settings for obtain auto .
I have an engineer arranged to visit house to check things but that is some time off due to other matters.
May I thank you and wish you all a happy Christmas- derek

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
If you enter your Downstream Attenuation into this Kitz estimator ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: it will give you an idea of what you should be getting on a 6dB profile.

If you phone TalkTalk on your landline, then it shouldn't cost you anything on 0870 444 1820 and if you're using a mobile, then www.saynoto0870.com has a few alternatives.

It's best to try some home checks first (including trying another router if possible) as I've suggested before an engineer visit because with TT, if the Brighthouse engineer finds the fault to be on your side of things, then you're looking at TRCs of about £60.

When the engineer comes, make certain to nail him down as to the cause and ask questions, as quite often it ends up as the customer's router at fault on the report which will trigger the TRC - speaking from experience as a TT customer from the Qube engineer days :smile:

And a Happy Chistmas to you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
HI
I may be out of date re the call costs but it says 5p a min on a tiscali line and 10p a min on a BT line when I camm Customer care on 0871 222 3311. I will try your number in future.
From my router I obtained the following adsl stats Downstream
rate 6272kbps SNR margin 6.5 attenuation (db)43.0 and output power 19.5
Upstream
48kbps SNR margin 23.0 Attuenuation 25.0 Output power 12.0.
The test on pinging preferred DNS servers failed. I got the following preferred servers from the router 212.139.132.38 and alternate 212.74.114.213 and pinged them using dos cmd
and got request timed out on both. What does this mean please- is this a fault my end or servers end.
Funny its a Qube engineer that they are sending.
I got the following result from Kitz 43db distance 3.1km
dslMAX (20CN) 6304 kbps IP Profile 5500 kbps BT 21CN WBC
& adsl2+ 7904 kbps IP Profile 6971 kbps adsl2+ (LLU) 7904 kbps Throughput 6995 kbps
Kind regards and my thanks
derek

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Your Upstream Atten. is way too high and that is usually an ISP problem, so the engineer may actually find something, but I've found there is very little extra that they can do except contact TT for them to make some adjustments on their end.

The difficulty in diagnosing line faults is when they are intermittent - probably Murphy's Law in reverse - everything will be fine when he calls, but if when they do a proper line test with everything disconnected at your end and they find voltage on the line, they normally pass it on to BT for one of their engineers to come out.

The Qube engineer will probably hook up his own router as an elimination to your equipment - even though the 2680 that you have is ISP supplied, TT seem to relinquish any responsibility of that once you start using it, although you can get a free replacement if it's found to be defective and you're still under contract with them.

You could try changing the DNS servers settings in the adapter/Properties/(TCP/IPv4)/Properties to something like Google 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 as a temporary measure to see if that gives any improvement, but I think it would be best to wait until the engineer comes if that isn't too far into the distant future.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Not sure if you kow about or have already done this, but TT released firmware upgrades for some of its routers earlier this year and as a former Tiscali customer with a D-Link 2680, one of those will apply for your router and may help - unless it was just get them ready for TT's tv.

If I remember rightly, I think you have to wire up to run it but have a read through the article first Get the best from your Broadband

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.