Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am using CS3 to create a text effect for making a Glowsign/Signboard for my business. The size is 350 Inches by 28 Inches.

The Render/Lighting effect is disabled. I am unable to proceed without this effect. Pls Help. Thanks...

Ganesh

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

350x28" is a huge image for Photoshop. How much RAM do you have, and what size is your scratch disk?

Are you using the trial or full version?

Are you working in Indexed, RGB or CMYK mode?

If you're using layers, does the Render/Lighting effect work on any other layer?

Are you trying to apply the effect to the whole image, a layer or a selection?

Are you having trouble with any other effects or filters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Koala,

Thanks for your reply. am so glad to see a quick reply :)

I am using a trial version, its RGB 8 bit, I am using about 7 - 8 layers, the render effect does not work on any layers. I am trying to apply the lighting effect to the whole image. Among the various filter options, only about 4 options are available to use and the rest are disabled.

My system has 2 GB RAM, Scratch Disk, I have ven selected 2 drives - C (116 GB) and D (9 GB)

But, for the same image, previously I worked with much smaller one, appx A4 paper size, I did not have any problem with any options at all, all the filter options were available.

What I observed is that when I created a new file to work, for small images, there is no problem, only when I increase the size to a bigger one, these options are disabled.

Thanks so much

Ganesh

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I just made a quick 8bit RGB image at 350x28" with one layer, and the filesize was about 150mb. Adding 2 more layers and a few filters increased the RAM usage significantly, but didn't prevent me using any filters. At 4 layers I tried to apply a lens flare and got a 'Low RAM' error, preventing the filter from being applied. That is in XP with 2GB RAM, 4GB swap file and two 80GB scratch disks.

Make a PSD copy of your file, keeping all the layers, and save it at 10% size, then try to apply the filter to the smaller copy. If it works, then your problem could be related to RAM.

I'm not sure what the restrictions are for the trial version of CS3. It could be that you are limited to a certain number of filters, or they are disabled for files over a certain size.

Have you tried purging the history and undo steps before applying the filter? This will clear out the memory if you've been applying several filters before it runs out of RAM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.