Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

This is what I see when I open a Folder in my Picture Folder. When I click on an individual .jpeg, tiff file etc. a message appears saying I don't have "permission" to view. I'm not aware of any changes made to this Dell laptop other than a typical Windows 10 update. All possible solutions would be most appreciated!

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,528 Posts
Does this happen on any of the other folders in the Pictures folder? (ie) Bill, Bill and Family etc?

Change the permissions on the Aunt Marion folder

·
Registered
127 Posts
View attachment 333686 View attachment 333686

This is what I see when I open a Folder in my Picture Folder. When I click on an individual .jpeg, tiff file etc. a message appears saying I don't have "permission" to view. I'm not aware of any changes made to this Dell laptop other than a typical Windows 10 update. All possible solutions would be most appreciated!
View attachment 333686 View attachment 333686

Is it the same in safe mode? If so, create & boot to a Linux Mint USB drive. From there, see if you can copy/paste these to backup to your external drive. If yes, when complete, back in WIndows create a new user of your name (slightly diff than the current name). Once created check it's admin. Then, in Users, delete the old user. When it asks to save their files, say yes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does this happen on any of the other folders in the Pictures folder? (ie) Bill, Bill and Family etc?

Change the permissions on the Aunt Marion folder

I did watch recommended You Tube Video, followed all steps exactly but still can't view photos. Much appreciated as I learned va lot; believe i'm in the right "Church" but haven't found the right "Pew" yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it the same in safe mode? If so, create & boot to a Linux Mint USB drive. From there, see if you can copy/paste these to backup to your external drive. If yes, when complete, back in WIndows create a new user of your name (slightly diff than the current name). Once created check it's admin. Then, in Users, delete the old user. When it asks to save their files, say yes.
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,528 Posts
Corrupted files are caused by a failing HDD/SSD having Bad Sectors that data resides on. If a file is corrupted, it is not recoverable.

This may not be your problem, but you do not need BitDefender. Windows Security (Defender) provides plenty of protection and it comes with Windows and is free. Sometimes BitDefender causes False Positives and blocks files and web sites. We suggest uninstalling it with BitDefenders Uninstaller

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I can't quite manage that procedure. Thanks for your input. It appears that other than Picture files have been corrupted as well, although my Antivirus program "Bitdefender" has been active, auto updated, etc. all along so I'm hopeful this problem hasn't been caused by Malware.
Try to create a bootable Linux Mint USB and boot from that. If the photos are showing okay, copy them out asap. If they're showing corrupt in Mint, then you know it's not Windows misbehaving. At that point, you may need to start creating a clone to a different drive, then work on the known-good clone to run a photo recovery software, or something like Testdisk. No fun moving forward here. I feel for ya. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts