1221 - 1240 of 1257 Posts

· Registered
5,027 Posts
... a rose by any other name ...

Stunning photo with great bokeh! :cool:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,222 ·
I had a wonderful evening with some photo-club chums last Wednesday, when we met at Crystal Palace Park for an evening photo-shoot. I hadn't been there since 1985, so it had changed a bit since then........

Yep, they've gone and gotten themselves a Dinosaur-Park...... :grin:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,224 ·
I was extremely lucky a few weeks ago, one of my favourite airfields (Headcorn, Kent) had a 'Battle of Britain' display put on by their resident company 'Aero-Legends'.

It was only a small affair, I doubt there were more than about 1500ish folks there, which was great 'cos there was plenty of room at the flight-line for photographing the planes.

Another great bonus was that it was just before this heatwave we've gotten lumbered with, 23C was nice and comfy :smile:

· Registered
5,027 Posts
Great shots 'Bo!

I just passed two significant milestones:

1. 5000 posts!! :wink:

2. Just acquired a pair of Canon 5D Mk IV (my first full frame) cameras. One came from Australia at a great deal, and the other from an eBay vendor which included a HOST of additional accessories. Both came with a double battery grip, so I should be able to shoot for LOOONG periods without recharging. I also got 4 extra batteries in the deals! :cool:

I plan to go out around the island and take some new nature and landscape photos, to try to sell some
Giclée prints at a local artists' market on Wednesdays. I hope to start generating some income from my photos to justify the cost of these new toys! :grin:

Wish me luck! :smile:

· Premium Member
12,471 Posts
Good Luck Wizmo and enjoy your toys .. Ideal situation to have 2 toys of the same type but with different lenses ... I get so bored of swapping from my 18-55 to the 70-300 that I try to do everything using the single lens .. I have 4 lenses but these two are my favourites ! Apart from the weight a second body would be so helpful, the weight I could do without !!

Congratulations on passing the 5000 mark ..!!!

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,227 ·
Congrats on the new toys Wizmo and good luck with selling the results, I look forward to seeing some samples here :wink:

I know what you mean about lugging lenses around, my old 35mm rig (Praktica BMX), it had 3~4 lenses and umpteen misc. toys for it, from motor-drive to filters to multi-flash setup, and that's without the tripod! :grin:

Oh, I've still got the tripod and it's still as good as new.....

Another club walkabout this time around Greenwich, produced a mixed bag of photos due to dismal light, some I'm happy with and more that are OK, with a few 'Mehh' shots too.....

My attempt at 'artistic' photography...... :grin:

This is a light-bulb in the pub I was standing outside of, when taking the above shot - Yes, I had to go in 'cos t'other club members went in whilst I was taking the above shot.......... :whistling:

Taken from inside the pub, dead window with live plant......

These next two are me showing off the zoom on this camera, both taken from the same spot - The lights through the 'gas-holder' girder-work is the 'Emirates 'Skyline' cable-car pylons, crossing the Thames 1.5 miles down-river.......

This is one of the (lucky) shots I was really happy with, 'Ghost Dancers'......

The Cutty Sark at twilight......

I'm now waiting (semi-patiently) for my next evening-shoot, at the 'Southwark Cathedral Candlelit Photography Evening', in a couple of weeks time. I've been past it lots of times, but never inside it..... :popcorn:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,228 · (Edited)
I had a change of style t'other week, when a photo-club member mentioned a photo-shoot at Southwark Cathedral, right next door to London Bridge Mk 2 (The original is in Havasu City, AZ) and the Borough-Market, that was hit by terrorists earlier this year.

The cathedral's policy is usually a strict 'NO!' to photography, but one evening a year is given to clubs and professionals etc. As a bonus, the cathedral is candle-lit, more of which later........ :whistling:

I didn't bother taking my tripod, it's waaaay too heavy to hump around, especially on buses, so all the shots are hand-held.

I don't know who's interred here, I can't remember my Latin any more.

A ceiling boss

William Shakespeare...

A beautiful old door, but useless as the passage on t'other side doesn't have a corresponding big hole in it!

Mediaeval furniture-making at it's best.....

This is from behind that main altar.....

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 ·
Thanks Joe :smile:

It's a bit of a mashed-up building, it was originally a church built in 1086, then various repairs and rebuilds, there's a lot of different stonework etc. Some better done than elsewhere.....

This is over the door in the above shot, spot the cement joinery....... :grin:

Yes, the candle is slightly wonky.......

Directly above that altar.......

I wonder where that leads to......

I nicknamed this the 'Heretics Door'...... 'Repent and pass through this door, your soul will be saved......'

A stray cat that adopted the cathedral and staff - Doorkins Magnificat! Yep, that's what they named him.... :grin:

· Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,638 Posts
I have my own personal cheer squad.

Then last weekend I took one of the girls with me for a working holiday at the family cabin (I'm laying the tile.). While waiting for things to be prepped, I did some shooting.

That was my favorite of the set. And now a stylized photo. I did it because the mid day sun was bright and gave harsh shadows when it wasn't hiding behind a cloud, which it was doing until I clicked the shutter button.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,232 ·
Mmmmmm..... A nice set of photos there Sinclair :thumb:

Last Saturday was an 'Open Day' at the 'Crystal Palace Subway', a Victorian foot-tunnel under the main road, build when the Crystal Palace was moved from Hyde Park to what was then called Penge Common, in SE London.

The subway is a small but beautiful example of Victorian brickwork, the black ringed holes in the ceiling is where the gas-lights were.

Unfortunately I was playing with the 'D-Light' (Dynamic Light) setting on my camera and forgot to turn it off, causing the pics to look over-saturated :sigh:

Looking towards Crystal Palace Park, where the Crystal Palace was.....

The entrance/exit from t'other side, away from the park.......

Some of the steps that led up to the palace, from the lower bit of the park.....

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

The BBC TV transmission tower for SE London, along with mobile-phones and misc. microwave stuff......

The top of the tower.....

Some of the gubbins in the middle......

[/url]

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,235 ·
Very nicely worked photos there Sinclair, well posed and composed :thumb:

My Nikon P610 died just before Xmas so I had to send it off for repairs, leaving me camera-less over the holidays. Luckily, Santa sent me a new Nikon D5600+18-55mm telephoto, 70-300mm + 40mm macro lenses, Speedlight flash-gun, filters, spare battery and a carry-sack to put it all in..... :cool:

The downside is that it's been mostly very grey and dismal since I got it, but I did get a chance to play with it on New Year's Eve, when I took it up to the top floor (5th) of my block to get some celebratory shots.

Looking down-river towards Greenwich....

Looking up-river towards London, the fireworks are what I can see of the big celebrations on the London Eye and Embankment, The Shard is on the right of the block.....

Finally, straight across to The Docklands.....

The complete kit...... Oh, I got my repaired camera back yesterday, all working perfectly again but it won't fit in the bag.....

Attachments

· Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,638 Posts
Ones uploaded to TSF are hosted, but a lot of us do image linking instead, so either the link is now dead, or you have some internet filtering that is preventing them from loading. This is an old thread, and many image hosting site have made big changes (Like Flickr and Photobucket.).

· Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Ones uploaded to TSF are hosted, but a lot of us do image linking instead, so either the link is now dead, or you have some internet filtering that is preventing them from loading. This is an old thread, and many image hosting site have made big changes (Like Flickr and Photobucket.).
Ah, That explains it then. I use firefox with a few add ins that blockers etc, and I know that a few sites won't load in it, forcing me to use edge if I want to see them. Most often, they aren't worth it! :)

1221 - 1240 of 1257 Posts