Tech Support Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1257 Posts

· Registered
5,027 Posts
I am the designated photographer for the local annual sea swim (charity fundraiser) event every year in mid-June. There are an average 1000+ participants, including many Olympians from around the world. That plus the preparations before and the awards ceremonies and prize drawing after. My average shoot is 1500-1800 images over the 7 hours for the day. :thumb:

Good thing I run a 128GB card nowadays as it takes more than half that capacity in total to store those images. Then I have the post-production work that takes at least 2 days, despite my best efforts at getting it close to right the first time! :rolleyes:

I used to do it as a volunteer, but the family that sponsors it insists on paying me a stipend now, though not anywhere near my ordinary hourly rate! :grin:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,202 ·
@ SABL - Yep, they're pewter ornaments I started collecting some years ago. The biker-lizard is 3.5"x3.5" and the dragon is 3.25"x3.25".

I've also got a 'Rock-Lizard' at about the same size and a couple other dragons, all in similar genre....

@ Wizmo - I assume you're saving your pics as .RAW files? My camera only saves as .JPG, though I can get near .RAW quality at the highest settings (my standard format :wink:). My last air-show (RIAT) bagged approx 1800 photos but the weather and light was so bad, most were junked

We don't get many folks swimming in the Thames, despite it being a lot cleaner than it was years ago, but we do get a lot of shipping events, the most famous being the Greenwich Tall Ships Regatta.

I did get 'volunteered' for a working ships event a few weeks ago, by a local charity project "Deptford Working Histories" to photograph a load of 'Thames Barges' that planned a sail-by from the Greenwich O2 'Dome' (What James Bond slid down in 'The World Is Not Enough") to Tower-Bridge, then sailed back down again.

Unfortunately, only half the ships turned up for the event, but it was still really nice to see 'em in action - See post no. 1187

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,206 ·
Hi zhong :wave:

What model of Olympus camera do you have? It takes good photos but they're a bit small to see clearly.

Also, zooming in a little bit will get rid of the backs-of-heads in front of you, alternatively, lift yourself up out of the seat slightly. Not too much though otherwise the folks behind you will mutter at you :wink:

I took these a couple o' days ago, from my back balcony. The 1st shot is my target subject.......

I was trying to get a close-up of the mossy bits, but I was surprised to see the camera even picked up a bit of spider's web in the square formed by the branches....

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,208 ·
Really nice pics Sinclair, though the first one is slightly fuzzy on the lower parts of the doll.

I really like the last one, the outside setting gives a much better light and makes the photo more interesting.

· Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,638 Posts
...though the first one is slightly fuzzy on the lower parts of the doll.
That was on purpose. She's sitting and looking up while I'm high above her pointing the camera down at a large aperture opening. But due to the crop factor of my camera, and lack of a ladder, I wasn't directly above her, so the depth of field cuts through the image diagonally.

· Registered
5,027 Posts
Time to get a tall(er) ladder! :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
12,471 Posts
I have been meaning to get in here for months and put up some photo's taken with my d3300 plus lenses

these photo's were taken last Sunday when I went cycling up my local mountain. I stopped at about 860meters / 2800 feet above sea level, just before the penultimate hairpin bend, in order to answer my mobile phone and grab a few photo's when this bandit came up from below, crossed the road in front of me and disappeared into foliage to proceed up the mountain.
In spite of the fact that I had my camera ready in my bag in front of me, I cursed because I was on the phone and unable to grab my gear to take some shots.
I finished the call got back on my bike to continue going up when I caught sight of it on top of the supporting wall as I rounded the corner. Needless to say I got off my bike again, quietly put it on its stand, grabbed my camera which was ready with the 70-300mm zoom and started taking photo's. I walked slowly & quietly towards it, taking shots as I went plus tried not to make it too obvious I was heading it's way by slowly circling !

The first photo was cropped from the second whilst in the third I shifted focus to the background and shows the Greek Syntagma or Parliament building just behind the partridges fuzzy head.

Bandit on Mt. Ymittos @ ~860meters / ~2800feet

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,214 ·
As Sandy says, lovely shots DF, your new camera is showing it's worth when the cropped pic has almost as much detail as the original :thumb:

I quit my old photography-club at the end of last year, it was too small, cliquey and snobbish over cameras (I can't take 'proper' photos with a Bridge-camera, only DSLRs :nonono:

I've now joined another club (Beckenham Photographic Society), which is much larger (approx 60 members), judges on the photos rather than the camera used to take it, plus they have a lot more inter-club and national competitions :smile:

Following a nasty bout of COPD from our bout of freezing winter weather which left me with a persistent chest-infection, I took my first photos of 2018 yesterday. Mrs WereBo was faffing around in the kitchen and noticed a couple o' crows in the cherry-tree opposite my flat. I dived out the front-door (with camera :wink:) and grabbed these few shots.....

Attachments

· Registered
5,027 Posts
Quoth the raven - "show me more!" :wink:

Nice shots of the birds and the blossoms. :grin:

· Premium Member
12,471 Posts
Beautiful Shots werebo .. what a shame that the second one (bird) wouldn't move more into picture rather than photo-bombing the one in the front ..
I hope that your health has sufficiently improved to allow you to get more out & about .. I have the honour (& misfortune) to be looking after my sons Pitbull whilst he is away from home working for the summer .. It may be a disadvantage because it has stopped me from getting out on my bike (she's less than a year old and needs constant walks / attention) but on our walks I go armed with my 70-300 mm zoom which seems to have a permanent position now allowing me to grab photo's of flowers etc without the need to worry about distance from the lens providing it is more than a meter or throwing shadows across the object in question. A real bonus as you will have noted with your cameras capability too !

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,218 ·
Thanks guys :smile: - They definitely were a lucky group of shots, as all the blossom had dropped by next day, it's a shame that blossom doesn't last long, it's a beautiful first sign of Spring.

@ DF - When I was using my Praktica BMX 35mm camera years ago, I ended up using my 50mm-200mm lens most of the time, only taking it off to attach a 'doubler' when necessary.

This Nikon P610 still amazes me with it's 25mm-1440mm (optical zoom) range from just 1 lens, I don't think I've ever used the 'Dynamic Fine Zoom', which adds up to 5X digital zoom, though anything past 3X gives a noticeable degradation in the photos.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,220 ·
Mmmmm, I can almost feel the velvety texture of that rose, a beautiful shot DF :thumb:

My parents both loved roses too, their garden had dozens of 'em (Mostly white 'cos she was a Yorkshire lass :lol:)

I wish I had more space on my balcony for larger plants, I'd have nabbed some cuttings from their garden, when mum moved from her council home to a nursing home back in 2011. The roses were over 40 years old and had matured beautifully.

1201 - 1220 of 1257 Posts