Tech Support Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 1257 Posts

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,165 ·
As it was a lovely sunny day last Saturday, I toddled off to Kent for my 1st outing of the year, Eagle Heights and Eynsford Castle being my targets.

For those of you who wonder what meerkats toesies look like.....

Too much cuteness perhaps?

Golden Eagle....

Kayla the Bald Eagle.....

Tia the Serval.... I had a great problem shooting through the wire mesh in front of their enclosure, so I had to get the cat's head through the gaps - It does make a rather nice frame, so the motto of the day is: If you can't lose it, use it.... :grin:

Martial Eagle....

Apparently this Barn Owl has a very rare genetic difference which gives it very dark feathers, it's still a beautiful bird though...

Little Owl.....

Kayla in flight......

Tawny Eagle sun-bathing.... Apparently this bird escaped from his enclosure and settled on one of the high-perches. Whenever a keeper tried to recapture it, it flew off to another perch and sat there smirking.... :grin:

· Registered
53 Posts
Some time ago I took advice here about buying a new camera and went with the Canon PowerShot G5X. I said I'd be back to post some pictures and promptly never got round to it.

So here are a few pictures from a recent trip to the UAE (and Oman)...

Can't figure out how to inline them properly here, but the first two are in Muscat, Oman (Mutrah Souk and the Incense Burner at a local recreation ground), and the other two are of the desert in Ras Al Khaimah, where we took in a camel ride.

All photos were taken at full resolution of 5472 x 3648, but resized to 1600 x 1067 for uploading to here.

Attachments

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,167 ·
Hi Angoid :wave:

Mmmmmmm.... Nice photos there :thumb: - Nicely framed and exposed though the first 2 pics might benefit from having their levels tweaked slightly, just to boost the highlights and shadows slightly, there's a tutorial here for 'Photoshop' but the principles work in any photo-editing software - Tweaking Levels

I took a walk to Greenwich for the Tall-Ships Regatta yesterday, it was a grey and overcast day with dismal light for photographing stuff, but that's the UK bank-holidays for you :grin:

In the foreground the 'Christian Radich', with the 'Santa Maria Manuela' behind and to the left......

Christian Radich against London's skyline......

The 'Aphrodite', an appropriate name for a beautiful little ship......

The next 4 shots were all taken from the same spot by the 'Water-Gate' river entrance to the old Royal Naval College, this Nikon's got some serious zoom-power!.......

I didn't get far enough to see the name of this ship (too many people to push/jostle my way through), but the crew were busy on it.....

Massed masts......

· Administrator, TSF Manager
30,635 Posts
Nice photos, Bo.......:thumb:

I saw a little bit of blue sky trying to peek out.....not much, though.

Don't know if I'll get a new camera or not. Going on 15 years old and the battery seems to be playing up. Has a specific battery and not throw-away type.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,169 ·
Thanks SABL, I suspect the sun was linked to my camera-height. When hanging on it's strap it was sunny, but the extra couple of feet to my eye moved the sun behind the clouds.... :grin:

It might be possible to get a replacement battery online, but at 15 years old it might be time for a new camera, you'll be surprised at what's available at a lower price than what the old one cost :lol:

I couldn't find the name of this ship, it was moored close to another ship and both next to a pier :nonono: - I do like the transition from old-style ship to new brick housing to modern glass/steel offices though.....

Back to the famous 'Cutty Sark', one day I might just make it through Greenwich, without taking a photo of this ship.... :lol:

Some of the local entertainers, theses two were singing old sea-shanties and folk-songs....

This swan was more interested in finding it's dinner though.....

I'll most likely be visiting there again on Sunday for the finale 'Sail-Past' display. Most of the ships are moored further downriver at Woolwich, and sailing up/down taking tourists for trips. The entire river-front at Greenwich is packed with tourists today and tomorrow, so Sunday should be good for the ending, over the years I've gotten pretty good at subtle shin-kicks and foot-stomping :grin:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,170 ·
Saturday's wander around Greenwich, no ships sailing past for whatever reason though. Still, all the stalls an musicians were busy....

I weren't sure if this was advertising an empty property, or if the letter 'I' had fallen off....... :grin:

I don't know what these folks were up to, according to nearby stall-holders etc. they never played or made a sound, they just stood/sat there motionless......

Mrs WereBo with mutant fishermen.....

Neptune mingling with the commoners.....

'Kindred Spirit', a local folk-group singing sea-shanties.....

I don't know what this guy was about, but he was having fun......

A woodcarver was demonstrating his skills, this is an item for sale.....

A pole-lathe turner demonstrating his skills.......

· Administrator, TSF Manager
30,635 Posts
Another great set of photos, Bo....:thumb:

At least you have some interesting places to see in the UK......we have very little in my area.

EDIT....I wish they'd get the TB webcam back up and running. They keep saying a new and better streaming feed......for ~a month.....:frown: Still not active......bummer.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,174 ·
Thank you SABL, it's a lovely place to visit, but I wish there were some others nearby too, I'm starting to get a bit bored of Greenwich now, I'm running out of things to photograph, except for my next lot below :grin:

A nice set of photos there Sinclair, well-behaved models too :wink:

My photography club organised an 'Evening Walkabout' last Monday evening, fortunately it stopped raining just as we'd met up and started off. Although it was bitterly cold, it was a nice change to photograph things when it was getting dark, it was an interesting challenge for a welcome change.

Greenwich from t'other side of the Thames, complete with murky sky, the old Royal Observatory can be seen lurking behind the right-hand dome....

The original Royal Naval Hospital (built in 1616) next to the old Greenwich Power-Station.......

Foot-tunnel under the Thames......

A naughty person who can't read 'No Cycling' signs.... :grin:

The 'Ships Figurehead Museum' underneath the Cutty Sark.....

The start of the evening's excellent sunset, with the old GPO-Tower (in the centre of London) for the backdrop

Lights on at the Greenwich Peninsula, just downriver from me......

Old Naval College lantern........

Panorama of up-river and downriver.....

Sunset developing......

The full show......

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,176 ·
The last few shots from my evening walkabout, this was taken in the pub we stopped in for some 'refreshments', the lamp is actually behind me, reflected in the pub's window.....

Noticing it was nearly dark outside, I dived out for the last shot of down-river. The O2 'Dome', cranes on a building-site and the string of lights on the right is the 'Emirates Sky-Line' cable-cars crossing the Thames.....

The Cutty Sark at night......

Taken through the glass surrounding the Cutty Sark.......

· Registered
5,027 Posts
I didn't realize Cutty Sark was actually dry docked! :huh:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,178 ·
Yes, she was dry-docked in 1954 and has been there ever since. Originally, the ship sat on her keel with supporting stays holding her upright, but over time this caused major damage to the hull, due to the ship's weight sqishing the hull.

She's now supported approx 9' off the ground by a 'collar' and support-stays, a tall person can reach up and leave their fingerprint on the bottom of the keel..... :grin:

I had an almost wonderful Sunday last week at the Abingdon Air & Country Show, 86 miles away in Oxfordshire. The only thing that marred the day, apart from the weather turning cold and very wet approx 5:00pm, was an aerobatic-plane crashed during it's display (Pilot OK after treatment for 'heavy bumps') :sad:

An 'Antonov AN2', the world's largest single-prop biplane....

As well as lots of planes, there was also a 'Classic Car' area too, this is a 'Martin' sportster, before joining with 'Aston' cars to make 'Aston Martin' :smile:

A Gloster Meteor' jet......

DeHavilland Dragon Rapide, coming in to land......

There was also a RC-model display too, this is an English Electric Lightning, sadly the only Lightning flying in the UK nowadays :sigh:

Even the model's pilot has superb detail.....

A model 'Red Arrow' Hawk jet....

Douglas C-479 'Dakota', part of the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight(. this one's called 'Kwicherbichen' (cunnjing name :wink:)and seen here giving guided tours to visitors....

I think this is the most beautiful car ever built, a Morgan' sportster. I was going to swap it for my VW Polo after the show had finished, but the owner came and drove it away... :cry:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,179 ·
I had a lovely day at the Biggin Hill 'Festival of Flight', combined with the 100th anniversary of Biggin Hill aerodrome. To celebrate the centenary, the company that runs several Spitfires, Hurricanes and other WWII planes (Biggin Hill 'Heritage Hangar') and the airport management organised to have a load of military veterans, plus some 'Chelsea Pensioners' visit the show......

Whilst trying to organise the vets for the press photo-shoot, these two guys insisted on kneeling, their reason was to show they can still kneel... :grin:

It was a real pleasure and honour to chat with them, my jaws were hurting from laughing so much, at both their antics and stories - A wonderful bunch of folks :lol:

Enjoying a stroll among the 'souvenirs' - The black London Taxis behind were used to bring the vets along, the drivers gave their time for free :smile:

Arrival of 'The Reds'

Arrival of a Spitfire......

1161 - 1180 of 1257 Posts