Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I appreciate your time and help. (tl:dr at the bottom)

I've been having BSOD on and off since i built my PC, just over a year ago.

First experiences I diagnosed down to bad encryption. When I played music or watched video from a mounted encrypted drive it would cause a BSOD. Nothing I couldn't handle though.

Then I started experiencing them again. This time when playing video games or suchlike. I figured it was RAM, so I upped the voltage of my RAM to 1.55v just to keep it stable and I didn't have any BSOD for a while. Then it seemed that trick wore out so i ditched the 4gb of 666mhz RAM and splashed out on some 1600mhz DDR3 8gb Ripjaws which I installed two days ago. I've had two BSODs since then, one playing GTA IV and one doing nothing more than browsing facebook. The latter one was no more than 10 minutes ago.

I'm pretty much stumped. I really hope that my new RAM isn't bad, but I can't think of any other problems. All my hardware is sound! It's listed under my name to the right. Any ideas? :confused:

tl;dr Bought new RAM, still experiencing BSOD.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, the minidump folder was empty.

I changed the core voltage of my new RAM to 1.55v from 1.3v stock and haven't had a bsod since. Been two days now.

Maybe my cheap PSU sucks at giving my hardware the juice it needs? haha.

Does increasing the voltage like this decrease the shelf life?

· Registered
139 Posts
Raising the volts too high could cause damage over the long term or even fry the hardware so I would suggest googling your sticks of RAM and looking for safe voltages on forums and such like sites.

I find it weird that there are no files in the minidump folder because if you did have a BSOD there should be aleast one files there.

You could try clicking oragnise in the top left of windows explorer----then folder and search options----- then the view "tab"----- then select "show hidden files and folders"

but otherwise I don't know. check out voltages just to be safe and fingers crossed your BSODs will be gone. :D

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help.

I looked up voltages and they seem safe. Some folk said 1.64v was the most stable but mine at 1.5v seems good. I actually think 1.5v is the stock but my bios set it lower to 1.3v for some reason, which is probably the cause of the BSOD.

I noticing the timings of my RAM are 11-11-11-28 whereas others on review websites and CPU-Z screenshots the CAS Latency is: 9-9-9-2. I'm not much of an expert with this but i know a higher latency is bad. Besides the voltage I didnt change anything.

· Registered
139 Posts
it should say on a sticker on your sticks what settings are stock.
I don't think decreasing latency would have much noticable performance difference if any these days espically unless you use very memory demanding programs.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help! Everything seems to be running smooth and good now.

The CAS Latency on the packet they came with says 9-9-9-24, but they are as stated above.

They're still much better and smoother than my last RAM! haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.