Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok, so i installed ubuntu 9.10 alongside my windows 7. I had some sound popping from what seems to be a powersave mode. Also i wanted to change the boot order so that windows 7 would be default.

I have searched and found answers to those questions, and made the appropriate edits. The problem is it says i don't have permission to edit those files. I saved the edited on my desktop so that i can copy them in as soon i get this resolved.

To put the question into simple words, how can i gain permissions to edit those two files.

Little side note:

Ok, so try to install a run file and i have permissions trouble there as well. Is there just a simple, black and white trick to changing permissions?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the triple post D:

But the 30min edit is sort of annoying.
Anyways, the questions i have above still stand.

However i made a new folder so i could install Americas Army without running into permission issues. The new problem is, i installed it...how do i run it?

it is in

/home/alex/Software/Games/AmArmy

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
Blast said:
The problem is it says i don't have permission to edit those files. I saved the edited on my desktop so that i can copy them in as soon i get this resolved.
I am not sure what permissions you are talking about. What were you told to do and to what files.

Blast said:
However i made a new folder so i could install Americas Army without running into permission issues. The new problem is, i installed it...how do i run it?
Again I am not sure about what permissions issues you are having. Do you have any error messages that can help us.

Cheers!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, i am trying to edit the grub.cfg file in the grub directory. I can open it but when i try to save it (overwrite the grub.cfg) it says i do not have permission to save over the file.

As for americas army, the program tries to install the game into usr/local/games. When thet game gets to the point that i choose a directory it says i do not have permission to install there.

Basically it is just a permission to write issue.

Lastly, the sound file i don't remember the directory of (i am in windows right now). It gives me the same permissions error when trying to save with gedit as when i am trying to edit the grub.cfg

(when i say error, i mean it says i don't have permission)

·
6,530 Posts
Hi,

Ok I would make sure that you are doing everything with sudo. That is where I would start. I haven't had much experience with Ubuntu 9.10, but that is where I would start.

As for America's Army I didn't know that it worked natively on linux. I thought that you had to use wine to play it. The last time that I checked AA is a windows game.

Cheers!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Americas Army has a version out for linux. 2.5.5 i believe?

And i am a complete noob when i comes to Ubuntu XD

I have only used it for a few hours in my life....ever.

sudo, is like the core admin i am guessing? (being it is used through the terminal in tasks that i cannot do)

But yeah...i have no idea what to input or where for this permissions thing. I saw a longggg text tutorial and read it. Just confused me more.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Hi,

To change the GRUB settings (including which OS to load by default), there's a simple little app that makes it very simple. Open a terminal, and type in this code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install startupmanager
Once installed, you can access it from the Administration menu.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for that :)

Now the only two problems i have would be the sound and game. Supposedly ubuntu 9.10 has a power save built in. It powers down the audio card (which is an integrated realtek on my mobo) when not in use. When it comes back on, my speakers make a loud pop. It comes out of the powersave anytime a sound is played.

Last problem is sort of a dumb one i believe. If you have read the above post i installed americas army (linux version). How do i run it? I installed it in:

filesystem/home/alex/Software/Games/AmArmy

The software tried installing into the filesystem/usr/local/games directory, but when i hit continue it said i didn't have permission.

Anyways, thanks for the first problem fixed :D

·
6,530 Posts
Hi,

You can try going to the folder that it is in and running ./AmericasArmy from a terminal and see if that works or see if there is an executable in that folder that you can run. That is where I would start. I am downloading the game now on a VM to see how to get it to run so if there are any problems that i we can try and fix them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty, so...executable. Like exe or run file? Also...and how to irun a older from the terminal? (If you mean to open it up to i can see the files, i can do that via gui)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, that looks like it will work. Now finally widdled down to the last problem XD

The audio issue. If you remember, 9.10 has a powersave feature on the audiocard. It will shut it off when it isn't in use for 10 seconds. When i play a sound after that, i hear a loud pop as the audio card (although mine is integrated) turns on. I found a fix, however when i edit the file (to prevent the powersave feature) it says i do not have permission.

·
6,530 Posts
Hi,

Glad we were able to figure out your AA issue. About your issue with sound. I know what you are talking about as I have the same issue with my fedora install. I would recommend that you try editing the file with sudo, and see what happens.

Cheers!

·
6,530 Posts
Hi,

To edit a file with sudo all you need to is type this in terminal.
Code:
sudo [program you want to run] [file you want to use]
password: [color=blue]enter your password[/color]
Hope this make sense

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.