Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite an unusual problem. I was recently infected with the blaster worm and had to reformat my hard drive as a result. My computer is finally to the point where it was before the attack. There is one problem, however: the DVD drive's busy light stays on constantly like a night light and the video card's fan continues to spin. All this despite the computer being turned off and unplugged! I suspect that they are deriving their power from the motherboard battery. I haven't yanked out the battery yet to confirm this. Other than this annoyance/problem, the computer works just fine. My question is has anyone ever heard of something like this before?

I have an American Megatrends BIOS created in January of 2002, my video card is a Voodoo 4, and I'm running Windows 2000 SP 4. I built this computer -- so there's no way I can talk to an OEM to figure out what's happening.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums deuist............:D

This does sound really strange! Try this unplug the power from the wall, then unplug the power supply from the motherboard and see if the fan shuts off. If that doesn't work pull the battery out. If the fan continues to run after all of this get an exorcist.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, it's certainly very odd, I've never heard of that issue before. There is no way the DVD is drawing power from the MB battery, since it's a very low capacity unit, and would be dead an hour or so powering a fan!

I suspect that you have something like a powered USB hub supplying +5V to the MB via it's connection, or perhaps some other peripheral, but I can assure you it's not the MB battery. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

i can assure you it isnt running off of the battery

i have tried to run a fan off of a battery after you posted that, and i couldnt even get one to spin at all....

even with 2 batteries in series...

i would see if you have a powered usb hub, i have seen that before.

~BoB~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it figured out. Thanks, guys.

Thanks, johnwill and bob vila. I had installed a new USB hub after the reformat and never took the device's presence into consideration. When I unplugged its power supply, instantly everything stopped spinning. I'm glad to know that the fan and DVD drive do not inadvertantly take their power from other sources.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It's interesting that the powered USB hub is feeding power back into the system, I never considered that before. It's actually probably a bad thing, I doubt that's a real good idea for system health. I thought the P/S in the hub would be isolated from the system, obviously in some of them, it's not! :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.