Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. :wave:

Just a quick question: (here are my specs first)

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core pc. I have a Nivida GeForce 6100 video card and 2 gb of ram installed.

My computer came with a 250 gb hard drive and was wondering under the "Performance Options" section in "System" how to allocate my processor resources. Should I be adjusting for best performance for programs or background services? My virtual memory is set at 2281 mb.

I currently have my computer set to "programs" and was wondering if I should change it to background services?

Can someone explain the difference between these two options? Since I have a dual core system, would it benefit me to choose background services or not? I just installed an extra gig of ram (had 1gb and now have 2) and was wondering if I also set my virtual memory correctly.

Thanks for answering my questions! :smile:

·
Visiting Expert, Microsoft Support Team
656 Posts
I would leave it set to PROGRAMS for where your resources should be used most. As far as performance options, I normally set mine at best performance. The only differences that I've seen is that it disables a lot of useless eye candy that Windows offers. If you aren't doing things that are extremely processor-intensive, you can let Windows decide for you. Your system seems quite capable of doing just fine even if you set it for best appearance. As I said, it just depends upon whether or not you really feel you can see a difference in performance if you set it to one extreme or the other.

Good day!

Mike

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
The "Programs" option is best for general use. The "Background services" option is designed primarily for servers. A server is optimized for file sharing on a network with application performance being of secondary importance. Vista is not intended for server use but it can function as such within it's limits.

As for the pagefile settings: Unless you have a specific need to change them, and you understand what you are doing, these should be left on default settings. That will be "System managed." There are large numbers of articles on the internet telling you otherwise but they are written by people who have no idea of what they are talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.