Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
My PC (Dell Dimension 8400, only hardware modification is a different video card [which was installed 2-3 years ago]) was working pretty well until recently, when I switched hard drives. I had run out of space on my Maxtor 80 GB, so I had called up and had a Dell guide help me through the installation of a Western Digital 250 GB as a primary (wouldn't recognize with it as a secondary). I kept both hard drives running for a while until I got a trial of Bitdefender and it found viruses on my older secondary drive. I quarantined and deleted the files later, and unplugged the drive. Lately I've been scanning the PC with the latest version of free avast! antivirus and the trial of the current AVG Anti-Spyware (Ewido), deleting whatever files it finds. Now the problem is, despite a "malware"-free drive, the computer crashes constantly. Programs will freeze up leaving me with no choice but to manually shut down. The freezing will occur when I open up Windows Media, sometimes WinAmp, the internet (random times), and many other programs. I can't deal with it anymore, as it pops up at random times and is becoming more and more frequent. Help please?​

·
Registered
142 Posts
Run Antivirus in the Safe Mode.... Dont install/run more than one AV on ur computer!
Also check in your event Viewer for the latest errors..(RightCLick MyComputer > Manage > Events)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I ran avast! in safe mode, so far no good. I don't have two AV programs, one is antivirus, the other is spyware protection. With my AVG Antispyware, it had detected a Logger.Delf.JQ (ah man...) but unfortunately, it could not do anything except temporarily clean it. I've switched to Lavasoft Ad-Aware (freeware) but this doesn't even detect it. I've also used SmitFraudFix but that didn't even solve the problem.

What happens is that the computer just freezes over. I have control of the keyboard and can call up the task manager and use the arrow keys, but nothing else works. The mouse, other keys, and everything else is disabled. Please get back to me.

*EDIT: I've now found that I AM able to terminate programs un-freezing my PC. So that's all well. On the other hand, can someone help me explain why my computer constantly freezes?

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.

You could still have some malware on your system and it could be causing your problems. Many infections tend to invite others to join them. I suggest you follow these instructions.

Download ComboScan to your Desktop.
  1. Close all applications and windows.
  2. Double-click on comboscan.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  3. When the scan is complete, a text file will open - ComboScan.txt
  4. Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of ComboScan.txt in a new thread in the HJT Forum (do not attach it or post it here).
  5. A folder, C:\ComboScan, will also open. In it will be another text file, Supplementary.txt.
  6. Please attach Supplementary.txt to your post.

Note: some firewalls may warn that sigcheck.exe is trying to access the internet - please ensure that you allow sigcheck.exe permission to do so.

To attach a file to a new post, simply
  1. Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, and
  2. copy and paste the following into the "Upload File from your Computer" box:
    C:\ComboScanSupplementary.txt
  3. Click Upload.

We'll then have a look and provide instructions to clean your system, if required. Please note that the HJT forum is constantly busy, so I would ask that you be patient while waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I haven't gotten a response yet which might mean that things are alright. On another note, I have two processes in the task manager called System and System Idle Process (no extensions). I'm not sure if these are normal or not because I don't remember seeing them before. Advice please?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.