Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really old computer, and in it was a Geforce MX 5100, 128 mb. I upgraded to a Geforce 6200 256 meg, with the hopes of running "team fortress 2" (a first person shooter) more smoothly. But after upgrading, my game runs much more slowly. My friend even noticed it and said something about it, without me saying anything to suggest it.

What changed?? I upgraded drivers and double checked my task manager. I dropped the resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 and dropped all video and sound quality sliders as low as they go, and still i end up with 6-7 frames per second. My older video card (which by the way had several capacitors blown) was running around 15, pretty steady.

The only thing that I can think of that changed, is my hard drive is now more nearly full than it was before. I have a 40 gig with currently 2.8 gigs free. Last week I had probably 3.5 gigs free, but either way that should be enough I'm pretty sure.

Any suggestions? I'd be happy to provide more information about my system if it would be of use.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It could be due to the hard drive space.... or make sure you have the right psu for that card which should be about 250 watts or 300. To check your psu watts you have to open your computer case and read the label on the psu itself, that will tell you the watts of the power supply unit . Hope you can fix your problems.. also double check that you have the right drivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I freed up 2 gigs of hard drive space and re-downloaded drivers from evga's web site (same drivers as off nvidia's page). I looked at the side of my PSU, and its 350 watts. Any other ideas? Anyone?

I did notice on eVga's web site, that my 12-volt rail on my PSU should be providing 18 amps.. mine is rated at 12 amps! When I tried to use a multimeter to check my amperage.. my computer turned off instantly lol (don't screw with the power, I guess.)

So I'm pretty much hosed then? I looked on newegg at 10 or 12 different power supplies, and the only one that had 18 amps on the 12 volt rail cost 150 dollars... Is it a safe assumption that this is the cause of my problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.