Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the difference really that big?
I've had this comp for 2-3 years but seems its getting really really old compared to the new ones like dual core and core 2 duo.
Gaming is prolly behind the ****e gfx card but i wonder does this cpu(s) run good with newer games anyway like GTA4 and stuff.
Oh yeah its an Pentium D @ 2.8ghz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello LunaTick,
The dual core was released prior to the core 2 duo and is generally slower at the same Mhz. The Pentium D is now more of a budget CPU. The difference between the D and the core two Duo is noticable espesially for games and other CPU intensive operations. There is also the cache memory differences so even in two different Core 2 duo you want to compre the amount of L2 cache memory as well. Cache memory makes a difference as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the easiest way is to buy a new motherboard and switch all those ram's over? Since as i read from asus homepage my current motherboard can only handle 2gb's of ram tho it has 4 slots for them.

·
In & out... very busy
1,877 Posts
Sounds as though you have an oldish motherboard, IMHO it would be worth upgrading to something that can at least support 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz RAM. Most motherboards that can support at least 4Gb of that speed can also support Core 2 Duo.
Whilst CPU speed does make a difference, there is no point having a lightning quick processor if your RAM is bottlenecking the data.
In an ideal situation, you would have a CPU and RAM running at the same bus speeds (eg. a 1066Mhz FSB CPU and DDR2 1066Mhz RAM).
Please provide us with your components list, we may be able to work round what you already have for a cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea sure.

I got 2 of 1gb ddr2 kingston rams @ 800mhz (but on this motherboard they work @ 533mhz only)
200GB HDD
Geforce 6600 - Have to replace this anyway because seems the fan is failing.
350w PSU
DVD-RW

And stressfreesoul , yeah its a very old generation , its a socket 775 lol.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Quite honestly, with that power supply and you wanting to replace the video card for something newer because the fan is failing, you might be money ahead to just rebuild the complete rig. You are already going to have to replace:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Video card
Power Supply (with a better video card)

My suggestion is that you look at just rebuilding from scratch and get the most for your money by not limiting yourself with so many older parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i guess thats the problem with computer these days , like they say , when you get your computer home from the store its already old lol.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions everyone.:wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.