Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was on my laptop in device manager looking for my printer since i'm having some issues with it (probably need a new one) well i got bored and was looking at all my devices (video, sound, etc.) well when i went to processors it has two listed... both lines read intel(r) pentium(r) 4 cpu 3.40ghz

i currently have the single core multimeter on my desktop sidebar so for shits and giggles i download the dual core multimeter and sure enough it has two cores operating. now to check that this wasn't an error with the dual core meter i tried it on my sisters single core athlon 4000+ and it just has one core running, and the other stays at 0%. as with my laptop it goes back and forth like it should if it's dual????

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Sounds dual core to me. You can try Ctrl - Alt - Delete and get the taskmanager up, Then go to perfomance and see if there is two cores showing under CPU Usage history.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's the thing... i checked and it has two grids.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you see why i'm a bit confused though? i mean i bought this computer before there was even dual core.. that and it's supposed to be single core.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i doubt very much that it is dual core, it probably is a p4 hyperthreading processor.

download everest, and it will give you all the details you ever care to know about your system.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's an ht processor... explain why it would read as if it's dual core though

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone care to fill me in with why having a hyperthreading cpu makes it seem as though i have dual core and why in device manager has two processors listed

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
HyperThreading allows a single-core CPU to process 2 threads concurrently, effectively making it work like a dual-core/dual-CPU system. Windows sees this as two cores and 2 processors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ok, well that explains everything. apprciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.