Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I can't get any of the PCs at our office to go to sleep or hibernate by themselves. I have to do it manually. They're all running 7 Pro 64bit. Any ideas?

Thanks,
FSG

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, sorry for forgetting about this. :facepalm: Yes, the Sleep/Hibernate settings are correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

seems to me that some program is keeping your computers from automaticly going to sleep.

To find out which program(s) are causing this, you can use the following windows 7 integrated feature:

1. Open the start menu.
2. Type in 'cmd' and a program called cmd should pop up, try to open it.
3. Right click it and run it as administrator.

You should now see a black screen.

4. In here type the following: 'powercfg /energy'.

Now, the feature should scan your computer(s) for errors for the following 60 seconds.
When this is done it will automaticly create a report which you can open in your browser. Where it is being stored will be shown too.

For me it was stored in C:/user/Joshua/energy-report.html

.. Seems like i have a few power related problems too, which are wasting energy.

When this is done could you post the report here or let me know if you resolved it on your own?

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could you try right clicking it, then select 'open with' and then left click 'choose default program'?

Then this box should open up:

Select your browser and if you wish tick the box 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file' to open .html files with this program on default.

If it doesn't show your browser you could manually select your browser .exe file by clicking 'browse' to the right of the box i was talking about in the previous step.

Edit: if it still doesn't work, you can try opening the .html file with microsoft word, although it will look less user friendly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, you could try drag and dropping the file into both your browsers, i've just tested it myself. And i don't think Adobe reader is supposed to be able to read those, as i believe that adobe reader is exclusive to .pdf files?

Edit: If it works in Word that should be fine too, one problem at a time :wink:

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Word won't open it either.

Edit: Drag and drop doesn't work either. :ermm:

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I got it to work after some Googling. I had to paste it outside of the System32 folder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, the file is saying that the USB devices don't go to sleep.
Most of them are normal though, i get that too.

But it also says something about a usb printer (USB Printer Support).

Which i think the problem might be. Is there something stuck in the printing queue?

Also, let's check the settings to see if windows is allowed to make your usb hubs go to sleep.

Go to your 'control panel' and open 'Device manager'.
Scroll down untill you see 'Universal serial bus controllers'.
Expand it, and alot of usb devices should pop up.

Right click 'USB Root Hub' and select 'properties'.
The top right tab should say 'Power management'.
In here see if the box 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is checked or not. If not check it. Also, if it isn't grayed out, make sure 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is unticked.

Now repeat this step for the other USB Root Hubs.

This option might also be or not be available on the other usb devices in the list,
If it is then do the same as in the previous step.

Posting a screenshot of all your usb devices in your device manager could be helpful.

------

Could you just attach the file instead?
Yes i could've told him to do so, but i assumed he would like to be able to take a look at it himself too.

+ This works too.

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, their all checked. All the hubs, anyway. What you mentioned about the printer rung a bell, because they all have the same model of printer hooked up to them.

Here's a picture of the device manager in two of the PCs:

Attachments

·
TSF Emeritus
6,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, so far they all work as far as waking up is concerned. It's just the going to sleep part that is difficult. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.