Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
:wave:
Am using an Acer 1691 WLMi laptop with Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2) as my primary OS. Recently I got a PCLinux OS 2007 LiveCD along with the purchase of PCWorld magazine.

When I try to run the LiveCD, it shows the opening menu. When I click on "Install PCLinux" button the CD spins and the HardDisk light is blinking for about 40 seconds. Then both activities stop and I just get a black screen. I tried to switch to the 'text' mode while rebooting again, the linux command prompt and the initial loading of kernel, drivers in shown for a while. But once again, it all ends up in a blank screen!

How much time does it take for PCLOS to boot? Am I being impatient before PCLOS loads itself completely??

Also (in my panicked state) when I pressed my laptop's power button (to shut it down), I was able to see the Linux command prompt! Does that mean PCLOS is already running in my system?

After doing a lot of searching in PCLinuxOS related sites, I have come to this forum looking for a solution.

Here are my system details:

Processor: Intel Pentium M 730 (2 MB L2 cache, 1.6 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)
Display: 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express with 128 MB VRAM
Hard Disk: 80 GB
DVD Dual
1.25GB RAM (DDR)

I am really looking forward to solve this problem and get my PCLinuxOS 2007 running soon! Thanks in advance!

:pray:
truecolors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry! There is no "Install Linux" option in the main menu.
Please read as "When I click on Live CD option..."

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
It does take a while to load the live CD.

Here's what I'd do: load the CD, go make a cup of tea. If after you're done brewing it you don't see that PCLOS is loading then I'd just consider the CD damaged and go HERE to get the latest version.

The "Install PCLOS" option will appear as an Icon on the Live CD desktop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yustr! I managed to boot the liveCD by choosing the 2nd option (fbdev), because I think, the liveCD was unable to communicate with my ATI display hardware. I had a glimpse of PCLinuxOS yesterday :)

Unfortunately, the screen resolution could not be increased from 800 by 600. I will have to do some more research before fully installing PCLOS and make my laptop a dual-boot system.

Thanks again!

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Yes, some Linux distro's do not play nice with ATI vid cards and Ati doesn't seem to be addressing it - I could be wrong as its been a while since I last checked to see if they've written Linux drivers for their cards. I ended up replacing my ati card for a Nvidia card and both OS and Vid are happy. Of course, you can't do that in your Acer so you're a little stuck outside in the rain. I can't see them ignoring it for very long. You may also try other distros as they may get a long better with your setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.