Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm not entirely sure if this is a mobo problem, but all my tests so far have pointed me in that direction, so thats why I'm here. Here I goes...

For some time now, while gaming, I've had an intermitant problem, that only happens once, or maybe twice, in a while. Usually in the heat of some battle, my PC will freeze, make a short repeating sound (usually of the last auidible sound played before the freeze) and then will restart. Obviously a kink in my getalong. Having gone quite a long time without reformatting, I felt like nows the time, and I did so. Pleased with the performance, I went back to gaming. Sadly though, it only took a few days for me to hit this problem again, and now it obviously needs to be addressed.

So here's what I've done. First, I tested the memory using memtest86+. Ran it overnight, it passed 38 times. So I'll presume that its OK for now. Ran a boot disk from the PC shop I work at that can test hardware, used it to test my primary Hard Drive, overnight it passed twice. Still hitting the problem, I brought the PC into the shop and used an Ultra X PCI card to run tests on it. At first, it passed every Ultra X test flawlessly, but the point with Ultra X is to run it a few times, so I let it. On its second pass, it stops at test 1.8, or PCI Bus Interrupt. Everytime...one complete pass...second pass stops on 1.8. So, I've begun to question if thats the case. Now, though I work at a PC shop, I'm clueless as to what this means, if it is fixable, etc. So far, all I've gotten is a "Bad Mobo" answer, and if this forum seems to agree, thats fine, I can replace it. But it seems a terrible waste if I can browse the net, type, anything but heavy game without a problem. My Google efforts have yielded no results, save the fact that I found something about IRQ misses. In the bios, my IRQ settings are all on Auto. Any ideas anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny

On a side note, my BIOS version is 20, and the newest is 24. I could flash it, but with the Abit IS7-E, it seems to be a bit more of a task other mobo's I've flashed, like Gigabyte boards, and would rather not do that unless it might help. The BIOS release notes on their site didnt seem to suggest that it would.

Some brief specs.

ABIT IS7-E Motherboard
Socket 478 Pentium 4 3.0GHz w/ HT
1GB DDR PC3200
OCZ 420w powersupply
Soundblaster Live 5.1 PCI Card
Radeon 9600 PRO w/ 256mb AGP Card

EDIT: LoL dont hold it against me that I'm clueless here (Tech in training)

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would download and run sensorview Pro (free 30 day trial ) http://www.stvsoft.com/SensorsView12Setup.exe

then run you game and keep recording your temps and volatages

I suspect either your temps get too high or your voltages are out of spec enough to cause a shutdown.

you could also try another theory which will clear the motherboard of guilt

remove the side cover from your PC blow a big house fan on high speed setting into the computer while gaming

if the machines runs noticibly longer than usual than you are confirming either a thermal issue or voltage issue. Also as the heat builds the ability of the PSU to make clean stable power decreases.

poor air flow and air exchange within your box will quickly degrade the capicitors in your PSU unit, as the PSU also draws hot air from the CPU into the PSU units "box" then expells it out! if the temps inside your case are higher than they should be you are slowly poisioning your PSU ?????

post back after trying some of these suggestions ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As a matter of fact, that was my first idea when this all started. I should have mentioned it. I downloaded MBM5 and saw that my temps were through the roof while under load (sometimes 70C+!), and my idle temps at 44-46 left something to be desired. I have since replaced the CPU heatsink and fan, the chipset heatsink and fan, the window panel fan on the side of the tower (and changed its direction from out to in (as I had nothing blowing in)) and it dropped my load temp to no higher than 51C, idle low 30s.

However, I will have to try out this monitor you posted. With MBM5, I saw that my voltages for the PSU were in the green, but barely, and could use some adjustment. Something like that is beyond me. The OCZ PSU that I purchased has 3 screws in the back that allow for voltage adjustment (12v, 5v and 3.3v) but all the lights are green above them (though I assume they are general). I'll have to post back with a screeny of the MBM5 readout, or from the above monitor if they provide these readings as well.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the above suggested monitor with my PC at idle.

Those negative values (12 and 5) bother me some, though I'm unsure if they are something to worry about and/or the cause of my problems, or just a small concern.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ok:

now work it hard and post the readings it looks as if you have some voltages out of spec

lets see what happens when its pushed by the way: the 36C while idle is high; I suspect when pushed it will go thru the roof ?????

let r roll

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I set it up so it would post in the event log text file every 180 seconds....here's the line from the last thread, shortly before I ended a game of CSS.

1/15/2007
10:44:39 PM
CPU 48 °C / 119 °F
SYS 31 °C / 88 °F
AUX 50 °C / 122 °F
CPU fan 2722 RPM
SYS fan 6027 RPM
AUX fan 2164 RPM
VcoreA 1.39 V
VCoreB 2.58 V
3.3 3.20 V
5 5.05 V
12 12.30 V
-12 -7.01 V
-5 -3.69 V
+VBAT 3.25 V
+5VSB 4.99 V
HD0 24 °C / 76 °F

I'm sure cooler temps are out there, but they cant be that bad, are are far better that what i WAS running with. Those voltages though, -7.01 for -12? Probably not too great.

EDIT: As I noted above, I'm not too familiar with adjusting the voltages, but my powersupply does have the option on the back. They all are labeled with positive numbers though, and it seems the negative one is the one off. Is this something I should have the power off to adjust?

I'm unsure if this will be of use, but here is a link to a review for the PSU I am using.

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cases/other/psu/pstream420/

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
your PSU is not producing voltage within spec, I would RMA that unit. The adjustments are for +12volt 3.3volt and 5 volt they are not your main concern now.

I would stop using that unit before you fry something

bear in mind' it may take 3 weeks to get your unit back ? In your shoes I upgrade to the OCZ 600 watt or Antec Trio 550 watt (if you choose the later please make sure you have bought the trio)

then I would sell off your returned unit on ebay

you are right hard work temps of 48C are not bad

please detail your case fan numbers, locations, and direction of air flow ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your PSU is not producing voltage within spec, I would RMA that unit. The adjustments are for +12volt 3.3volt and 5 volt they are not your main concern now.

I would stop using that unit before you fry something

bear in mind' it may take 3 weeks to get your unit back ? In your shoes I upgrade to the OCZ 600 watt or Antec Trio 550 watt (if you choose the later please make sure you have bought the trio)

then I would sell off your returned unit on ebay

you are right hard work temps of 48C are not bad

please detail your case fan numbers, locations, and direction of air flow ?
I have a front case fan blowing in, a rear case fan blowing out, a window panel case fan blowing in, then of course the power supply fan blowing out, the CPU fan and a chipset fan.

So these readings being off should be enough for OCZ to accept an RMA of the unit?

And would these faulty voltages potentially be the cause of these reboots during gaming that I have? It's either that or the fact that this mysterious "PCI Bus Interrupt" is to blame, as I use a PCI sound card, and could be the cause. I dont know...running out of ideas with this reboot problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.