Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My PC is not turning on. I press the power button and nothing happens. The motherboard is getting electricity from the PSU because I connect USB devices to it and these turn on. What can be happening? Thanks.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
please post your specs. And just so you know USB required very little power so your psu could be on its way out because of not supplying enough power to the rest of the system.. If you can go into the BIOS and post your voltages and temperatures.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
A failing PSU can provide enough power to illuminate the Mobo light as well as other hardware but that doesn't mean it has sufficient power to boot the PC.
We need to know what were working on as requested above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post the make/model of the PC. If custom built then post the specs.

MB-CPU-RAM-GPU-PSU brand/wattage

When power pressed do the fans turn? Drives open/close? Lights flash ?

MB: ASRock G31M-S
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q9400 2.66GHz
RAM: 2 Kingston DDR2 with 2GB each
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 512 MB DDR3
PSU: ATX 500c, 500 watts.

When I press the power button, no fan turns, no drives open or close and no lights flash. Nothing happens.

If you can go into the BIOS and post your voltages and temperatures.
I can't get to the BIOS. Nothing happens when I try to turn on the PC.

Basically, I know the PSU is submitting at least some power because my network cable LED turns on, my USB devices turn on, etc.

I have progressively been taking off all the USB devices, the network cable, the Drives, the RAM and the GPU. It still doesn't turn on.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model of the PSU? If you don't know, look at the label on the PSU.
We recommend a minimum 550W good quality PSU for any PCI-E GPU.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
It was the PSU. I bought another (this time it's 600W) and everything's ok now. Thanks you all for your help :) !
Tyree was asking the question so he/we could advise you to get a good make. There are power manufacturers out there that create inferior products and the psu is the most important part of your computer.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
As above^
Hopefully you purchased a good quality PSU. All 6000W PSU's can not run at the specs printed on the label.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.