Need some help

Ive got
core i7
asus p6t delux v2
OCZ ram
seagate 500gb HDD
gainwood geforce 260
with the mobo and cpu externally water cooled

I moved house last year and ever since then ive had power problems. when ever i turn on my pc by the socket switch on the wall or by the pc power button, the house trip switch would trip. After 8 months my antec truepower trio 650w PSU died :( i then replaced it with a brand new corsair HX850w PSU and all was good until a month ago when it all started tripping out again. Now its got real bad and the pc will turn itself off after about 15mins, somtimes it will boot back to vista and other times it wil not get past the bios boot. keyboard numlock light and monitor screen light are still showing to be on a long time after.

i have booted the pc and entered the bios and left it alone and it still reboots by iteslf so it cant be a vista issue. temps are below 33 degrees on average even in bios.

however i have noticed that the 3.3v is at 3.2v not sure if this is ok.

Do PSUs draw more power at start up causing the PC the trip the mains power?

im now wondering if i have a short circuit somwhere, bad ram, or maybe has anyone heard of PSUs having a overheating safty protection where they might cut out if component over heats .......any ideas?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
How much RAM and what are the specs?
Do this to prevent the Restarting and you may get a Blue Screen with Error Codes that will help to diagnose the problem.

Click on Start and then on Control Panel.
In the Control Panel double click to open System.
In the left panel under ‘Tasks’ click on Advanced system settings.
In the section labeled ‘Startup and Recovery’, click on the Settings button.
In the section labeled ‘System failure, remove the checkmark from ‘Automatically restart’.
Click Ok, OK to exit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok ive done the control panel bit, now i play the waiting game.....

in the mean time heres those ram specs reported by CPUZ

its triple channel OCZ3P1600LV2G
running at 7 7 7 20 535MHz
6gb in total
FSB:DRAM 2:8

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
Cdaman

What else is running on the circuit that you have your computer plugged into (mains). Is your computer plugged into a surge protector/circuit fault strip?

If it is plugged into a strip, you would trip the strip long before you tripped the main breaker. I would move your PC to an outlet on a different circuit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive got a surge protected extension lead running PC, speakers, and monitor. it has a power light fully on and a surge light which has a dim light ever so slightley flickering.

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
Are you in the US, Europe or Elswhere?

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
I am not familiar with the UK 240v electrical system. Here in the US if you were tripping a breaker/fuse I would tell you to check the circuit... It does seem to me that there is an issue with the mains circuit though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have tried another wall socket but it still trips. it is on the same downstairs ring main though, which has a B16 trip (16amp fuse) not sure if this is normal will have to check also.

ive read elsewhere that i may have to dismantle and rebuild my pc inorder to check for short circuits, i have been putting it off as it may take a while.

perhaps i think in gonna have to try to test my PSU in another PC in the mean time. i hope its not a fault with my house electrics as this may mean ill never get it fixed.

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
The other outlet is on the same circuit as the first one?

I don't know how many circuits are in one house or flat over there, but there are multiples. You shouldn't be pulling anywhere 16 amperes with your PSU especially on 220v. A 115v PSU will draw more amperes and I am running my entire computer room on a 15A breaker and never had an issue.

Do you know what else is drawing from that circuit? (fuse)

·
Registered
629 Posts
This seems to be more of a problem with your electrical system in your house/apartment, so you should probably contact an electrician instead! ;D

Have you also checked the voltage in your wall socket? Use a Voltmeter (Is that what it's called in English?), stick its sticks into each their hole in the wall socket, and check the voltage. If it's under 220V, you'll be breaking your PSU if you try using it over a long period of time.
Also, what wire are you using from the wall socket to your computer? Is it long/Thin? (The length and thinness of a wire builds up resistance, so the electricity running though it loses voltage.)
Also check how much voltage you get into your PSU with the voltmeter (If possible.)

Hope i helped somewhat! ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there something that is running on that same circuit but in a different room like an air conditioner or something similar that is turning on and tripping the breaker?

I've tripped the breaker in my house by plugging my vacuum into a circuit that is close to it's limit but it takes a bit, I had 2 overclocked folding builds and a file server but enough house hold appliances can consume enough power too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is there something that is running on that same circuit but in a different room like an air conditioner or something similar that is turning on and tripping the breaker?

I've tripped the breaker in my house by plugging my vacuum into a circuit that is close to it's limit but it takes a bit, I had 2 overclocked folding builds and a file server but enough house hold appliances can consume enough power too.
Since he's tested it in 3 different rooms already, i ruled that out as unlikely =)
Though, ofcourse, he could be overloading every circuit in every room in his house for that sake, but i doubt it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.