Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is the PC I have; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227147

It lasted a decent 4 months or so (?) before the power supply took a crap on me. (I shouldve realized this psu was bad to begin with=480w) When this happened, nothing smoked, or popped, flashed, sparked, that I saw. Everything seemed to go dead. I replaced the power supply with a better one, but I got the same results as before: Black screen (LED registering as sleep/idle), PC will turn on and the fans spin, but no beeps, anything. The HDD doesnt appear to come on either. No matter what happens, same results.

I have tried several things, such as removing the lithium battery, removing the mobo and resetting it, removing the Video card, making sure everything is plugged in right. I cannot afford to take this in for a diagnostic check, so thats out of the question.

I have been considering saving the money i do have to replace parts such as the MB/cpu and video card, but if anyone has any advice, feel free to share it here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do a Bench Test (instructions on this site) without the hard drive and Graphics card(use onboard graphics if equipped) (just Board,CPU/Heatsink,1 x RAM chip and PSU) If it don't power up 1st thing to check would be your PSU. You should have around 550-650w(450w+ real power) for that system by my estimate at least with the Graphics card and all. That would be the easiest(and cheapest) thing to check,I Have similar setup 2 you similar board/CPU/GPU and i run a 720w with 15A/18A Dual 12v Rail this may be too much you should have somewhere around that.
Swap 1 RAM chip for the other, if neither work then it "might" not be the RAM.
Inspect the Heatsink and make sure it is attached properly etc etc and if you have Thermal paste on hand reapply the CPU/Heatsink layer(definitely won't hurt it!) and reattach it.
If none of this works It could be the board as your old PSU might have sent a "death charge" to the board frying it upon dying itself but any one of the other things will give you the same symptoms from what i've found.
I doubt it's your Graphics card so you won't have to replace that but i would either try the RAM or CPU in another compatible setup to rule them out before buying a new mobo as if they check out its the board for sure!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That PSU is very low quality. Prebuilt PC's generally use cheap PSU's, as you have found out,and they can damage other hardware when they fail. Get a good quality 550W minimum PSU (Seasonic or Corsair) and do a bench test.

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install 1 stick of RAM.
5) Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
8) Connect power to the power supply.
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a very similar problem to what this guy's talking about. My PSU is an antec 650 watt. only a few months old. Everything powers up but the ram won't boot up and I get no imput whatsoever on the screen.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
I agree with Tyree on all points and his sound advice.

Prebuilt so called gaming machines usually come with a generic power supply. Generics tend to die very quickly, I would learn towards this being your issue.

Try what Tyree has said or barrow a good power supply and see what happens The only thing is that poor power supplies tend to take something with them when they die like the ram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tyree- same results after trying all that. The power supply I have is a new one that has replaced the previous psu, so it can't be that I don't think. The previous psu was weaker in power, even.

side note: since this doesn't seem to be working, does anyone know any alternate ways I can at least test to see if the video card is working? The only other pc i have, is this one, which is a bit weak to be testing it in. I am pretty much broke, so I can't afford to pay for an in store diagnostic test, let alone know anyone in town that knows much about pcs.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
you can try testing the psu with a multimeter to see if it works, what people tend to see when they get a psu is the wattage. Wattage is what the card outputs this important but what is more important is the amperage rating. Have a look at the psu sticker and post back what it says the amperage rating is for the 12v rail.

it should say something like 12v 36a or if it's a psu with multiple rails then 12v 18v 12v 18 you get the picture :) post back what it says.

Try and see if you can borrow some ram to test. Ram can cause issues like this too.

borrow a graphics card if you can too.

Just to add as I previously said if you have been using a low quality PSU and it has failed or been pushed too much it could have damaged other components in your system

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Tyree- same results after trying all that. The power supply I have is a new one that has replaced the previous psu, so it can't be that I don't think. The previous psu was weaker in power, even.
Is the HEC "580W" PSU that you linked to the replacement? Those PSU's are basically junk. The 9500GT requires a minimum 350W PSU and any Dual Core system need a good quality 500W. I have serious doubts that the HEC can put out a decent 400W.

@ greenbrucelee
HEC specs: [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],
[email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the HEC "580W" PSU that you linked to the replacement? Those PSU's are basically junk. The 9500GT requires a minimum 350W PSU and any Dual Core system need a good quality 500W. I have serious doubts that the HEC can put out a decent 400W.
Yeah, I thought that might be a halfway decent choice since I am rather poor, and it had what seemed like better specs than the PSU that was originally in this rig, a Logisys "480w" lol... I've determined with my boyfriend to return this PSU in exchange for something like a 700w box.

Yet another side question I have: Let's say the video card is messed up, in any way. If I go to test it out in a working pc, on a working mobo, will the possibly damaged video card harm any of the components?

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
no the card wont damage the components it just wont work (the card) if it's damaged. Just make sure the power supply in that pc can handle the card.

Make sure you get a decent brand of power supply like corsair, seasonic, PC power and cooling or Thermal take toughpower units. A crap high wattage psu can do as much damage as an under powered psu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.