Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my nephews computer and it will not boot. Originally it just had issues with plugging in any USB items except for a mouse or keyboard... anyything else would make the computer freeze and if you left it plugged in it would stop on the windows loading screen. the tower would power up but to make the computer actually boot you would have to shut it off from the back on the comp and then turn it back on and it would boot. if you didn't the tower would power up and everything in it would too but it wouldn't do enough to make the monitor turn on. and i have tried multiple monitors. the last time i was able to make it boot it did have an error on the very first screen about the bios. i changed one of the setup settings and it went away but still could not do anything with USB. NOW the tower powers up but it won't boot at all or kick on the monitor. all lights are on, fans are on, and i hear the HDD. i've tried everything but i don't know what else to do besides the ideas of it being the BIOS that's bad. replacing the internal battery. or the power wupply just isn't working 100% and it's going bad.

The comp is a custom made AMD, an american megatrends MOBO but i can't find the code to see what ones. and i can't boot it up enough to try and clear the bios. please help. thanks

· Registered
85 Posts
Dont need to power up just locate round silver battery on board,should be 3 pin jumper next to it,move jumper cap so it shorts out the visible pin and the centre one that is now covered by the cap. If no jumpers then remove battery and leave out for a few mins then replace. Either of these should re-set bios but it sounds like a dying motherboard (not that expensive nowdays just ensure it takes same processor and has compatible size/fittings)

Bri

· Registered
30 Posts
To me, it sounds like it could be 1 of 2 problems.

Does everything load up if you take ALL usb equipment out of the computer? If so it might be your power supply isn't quite enough. If you have another power supply or you buy another and this doesn't solve the problem, then yes, it does sound like it would then be a motherboard issue.

Try using the computer with nothing attached other than keyboard and mouse. See how long this works and what errors or problem if any you get. If all seems relatively fine, then i'd say its the PSU. Hopefully it is, as this is less work to replace than replacing a motherboard.

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
sounds like an underpowered problem
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and tempretures and post them