Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1.7GHz XP (home Edition and unfortuantly an OEM) PC trying to run Kurzweill 3000; word; ie; outlook express; zoomtext; adobe reader; PCTV; Olympus DM1 up & download; BT broadband; winzip; access; powerpoint; excel; ahead nero; inspiration; dragon naturally speaking.

Problem is PC sound stutters and PC freezes randomly. Have done restore points and restore to image/ghost. Issue still there.

I think I need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything - but how do I do it with an OEM? How can I communicate this to the supplier - whats the keyword to use. PC is still under warrenty until 8th Jan but issue been around for years - PC used to be a windows 98 - they did an upgrade - could they have missed something?

They think they've done enough - I need a working pc!

Any help welcome

thnx

Elaine :wave:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,821 Posts
Let's see if you have any nasties hiding there first.....

Please download HijackThis - this program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there. Double click on the program to run it.

1. If it gives you an intro screen, just choose 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'.
2. If you don't get the intro screen, just hit Scan and then click on Save log.
3. Get HijackThis Analyzer and save it to the same folder as the hijackthis.log file. Run HijackThis Analyzer and type in y if you agree. Open up the result.txt file created. Copy the whole result.txt log and post it in the forum. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
results file

This is it!

O23 - Service: Crypkey License - Unknown - crypserv.exe (file missing)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 22:35:41, on 04/01/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpm.exe
D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Bt Voyager\WLM.exe
C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Shared Files\Programs\Scheduler\PCLEScheduler.exe
C:\WINDOWS\webshots.scr
C:\PROGRA~1\Pinnacle\SHARED~1\Filter\server.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2\bin\java.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ntlworld.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\windows\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\MY INSTALLATIONS POST 11 MAY 2004\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVPCC] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe" /wait
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MOSearch\Bin\mosearch.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = D:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BT Voyager Wireless Utility.lnk = D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Bt Voyager\WLM.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV03.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Pinnacle Scheduler.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - D:\MYINST~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EPUWALControl_v1-0-3-17.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E888414-DB8F-11D1-9CD9-00C04F98436A} - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/ActiveX/winrep.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/305c3970b4804b13cc17/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader Control) - http://www.webshots.com/samplers/WSDownloader.ocx
O16 - DPF: {71057C18-0507-4747-86BC-E11CE7512C5F} (mailhelper Class) - https://register.btinternet.com/templates/btmailcontrol013.cab
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - https://register.btinternet.com/templates/btwebcontrol024.cab
O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/contents/setup/downloader/imloader.cab
O23 - Service: AVP Control Centre Service - Kaspersky Labs. - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe
O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
O23 - Service: KAV Monitor Service - Kaspersky Labs. - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpm.exe

End of HijackThis Analyzer Log.

Hope it means something to you!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,821 Posts
Turn off system restore by right clicking on My Computer and go to Properties->System Restore and check the box for Turn off System Restore. Click Apply and then OK. Restart your computer. After we are finished with your log file and verified that it's clean, you may turn it back on and create a new restore point.

Please download Ad-aware SE and install it if you don't have it already. Make sure it's the newest version and check for any updates before running it. Also go here to get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. To run this tool, go into Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection. Also make sure to customize the settings in Ad-aware for better scan results. Run the scan and fix everything that it finds.

Download and install Spybot S&D. Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! (Alternate Link if main link don't work) and install it. Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. When it asks you if you want to logoff, click on Yes.

Reboot and post a new HJT log.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
New HJT Log

Scan saved at 14:46:07, on 05/01/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Spybot\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ntlworld.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\windows\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Spybot\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Desktop Search Capture - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVPCC] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe" /wait
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MOSearch\Bin\mosearch.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Spybot\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BT Voyager Wireless Utility.lnk = D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Bt Voyager\WLM.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV03.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - D:\MYINST~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://c:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopnetwork1.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopnetwork1.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EPUWALControl_v1-0-3-17.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E888414-DB8F-11D1-9CD9-00C04F98436A} - https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/ActiveX/winrep.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/305c3970b4804b13cc17/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader Control) - http://www.webshots.com/samplers/WSDownloader.ocx
O16 - DPF: {71057C18-0507-4747-86BC-E11CE7512C5F} (mailhelper Class) - https://register.btinternet.com/templates/btmailcontrol013.cab
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - https://register.btinternet.com/templates/btwebcontrol024.cab
O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/contents/setup/downloader/imloader.cab
O23 - Service: AVP Control Centre Service - Kaspersky Labs. - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe
O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
O23 - Service: KAV Monitor Service - Kaspersky Labs. - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpm.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

errrors were found via Adaware & Spybot and sorted. Cleanup was done. But issue still exists.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Hi, there!

There was one that the tools didn't catch. The first thing we will need you to do is to go into Spybot and disable "Teatimer". It protects your system from many unwanted changes, and will protect you from the changes that we will need to make, here. Don't forget to reenable it when we are done.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should not have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools/View->Folder Options->View tab and make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' (or 'Show all files') is enabled. Also make sure that Display the contents of System Folders' is checked. Windows XP's search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders are checked.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

Turn off system restore by right clicking on My Computer and go to Properties->System Restore and check the box for Turn off System Restore. Click Apply and then OK. Restart your computer. After we are finished with your log file and verified that it's clean, you may turn it back on and create a new restore point.

Reboot into Safe Mode (hit F8 key until menu shows up). Make sure to close any open browsers. Go into HijackThis->Config->Misc. Tools->Open process manager. Select the following and click Kill process for each one if they are still listed (they shouldn't be - but double check it):

mosearch. exe

Uninstall the following via the Add/Remove Panel (Start->(Settings)->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs) if they exist:

MOSearch

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MOSearch\Bin\mosearch. exe

Delete the following Files/Folders (delete folders if no filename is specified) according to their directory (if none, just do a search for them) and delete them if they exist:

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MOSearch\Bin\mosearch. exe

Reboot into Normal Mode and post a new HijackThis log file so we can make sure it's clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the HJT log file - however Kerpersky tells me that I have a virus called worm_netsky.p in c:\documents&settings\user\Application Data\IM\Identities\{FC210EF6-31C7-

I don't think that's the full address but I can't track it down further. Kerpersky won't deal with it - how do I get rid of it??

When I get rid of it will I need to repeat all of this??

:pray:
Scan saved at 00:17:51, on 08/01/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Spybot\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOE.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\MYINST~1\Spybot\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Desktop Search Capture - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] D:\My Installations post 11 May 2004\Spybot\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://c:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

·
Premium Member
14,311 Posts
See if TrendMicro will do a better job (if you have a fast internet connection):

If you have a fast internet connection (broadband), run an online virus scan at TrendMicro. Just follow the instructions on the site to run the online scan. Otherwise, make sure your antivirus program has the latest definitions and run a full system scan.

If it's still the same, then go into that folder and delete the folder/file beginning with {FC210EF6-31C7-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.