Pentium IV socket 478 mobo-Asus P4P800 DLX
Win2K Pro SP4
101 Keyboard (PS2) -set to bring PC out from standby
Optical Mouse (USB) - NOT set to bring PC out from standby

current standby settings:
monitor off - 20 mins
hdd off - 3 mins
pc standby - 3 mins

Q1) should my hdd be turned off before or after my pc is set to go on standby-or it doesnt matter?

Q2) when i have my mouse set to bring my pc out of standby my pc does not go back into standy (it witches off and back on again) why is this?

Q3) because of that i have turned off mouse to bring pc out from standby and it works, however once my pc goes into standby i cant bring my pc back up again with my keyboard even when i have set it to do so. pls help.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Standby mode creates more problems in the computer world than you would believe. Most of the folks that know better than I do not use standby mode.

Best advise is to go in there and uncheck everything. When I do not shut down my computer at night (or during the day), I turn my monitor off. When I do not anticipate using it (or receiving updates), I turn it off (a safe computer is an off computer).

There are literally dozens of programs that foul up standby (including, in the past Windows Media Player 7). Many screensavers cause problems. It's a heck of a list.

Really, learn to do without it. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I second

That.

Standby is not worth the power it saves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: I second

That.

Standby is not worth the power it saves.
I have to agree. I've spent no kidding, probably a total of 8 - 10 hours trying every suggestion every person on the web has provided. Nothing worked!

Just turn your computer off! Really is too bad Microsoft can't figure this one out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: I second (Standby problem finally resolved)

I have to agree. I've spent no kidding, probably a total of 8 - 10 hours trying every suggestion every person on the web has provided. Nothing worked!

Just turn your computer off! Really is too bad Microsoft can't figure this one out!
I have to eat my words! I've resolved my standby issue.......finally!!!

It was my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard. I removed it and installed my IBM wired keyboard that came with my IBM Think Center. My computer now stays in standby! So like most users have previously said......it is usually a DRIVER issue.

Faz68

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.