Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an alienware m7700, every time I run a game that requires a good deal of my system such as battlefield 2142 or medieval total war 2, the machine runs it smoothly in the best settings, I can hear the cpu fan (the one one nearer to me on the left) running really fast when I run games but then after a few minutes or so, the game slows down, the framerate craps out and i can hear how the fan slows down in speed to almost a halt, I usualy alt tab back to windows and then alt tab back tot he game and then the fan speed picks up and the game runs smoothly again, until it happens again of course.

I have every new driver possible for every piece of hardware, I already tried alienware respawn etc... but the machine keeps doing that, whats up?

I already tried increasing the fan speed and that didnt work, so it wasnt that, I just dont know what to do anymore.

btw my specs are
Alienware m7700 laptop (i uninstalled media center and installed windows xp pro)
Pentium 4 3.8
3gb ram
Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra
those are the basics anyways.. those games should run perfectly and they do until my machine starts to crap the framerate out... whats weird is how i can alt tab back to windows then go back to the game and everything is smooth again and i can hear the cpu fan pick up speed again as if I woke it up

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like your computer is overheating. Have you overclocked this machine? Have you cleaned the dust out of it? Is there good airflow around the machine?

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

I didn't look it up online, but I'm assuming your computer is a laptop. Cleaning it out could certainly help you, but if you do not know how DO NOT DO IT. Taking apart a laptop and putting it back together isn't much different from a regular computer, but you have to be extra careful.

I'm with Chili on the assumption of your computer overheating. You may want to pick up one of those little contraptions that helps with airflow.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fans

my laptop has a lot of fans under it and I place it over a 2 fan laptop cooling system i bought that connects to the usb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Hey,

I didn't look it up online, but I'm assuming your computer is a laptop. Cleaning it out could certainly help you, but if you do not know how DO NOT DO IT. Taking apart a laptop and putting it back together isn't much different from a regular computer, but you have to be extra careful.

I'm with Chili on the assumption of your computer overheating. You may want to pick up one of those little contraptions that helps with airflow.

Regards,

You mean one of those bases that have 2 fans and u put your laptop on top of them? I have one of those, I dont see why my pc should be craping out like that, I took it to the laptop repair center near my house to get it completly cleaned after I read all your sugestions tho i get the feeling thats not gona cut it...

Oh btw, no i havent overclocked my machine, I havent moved anything regarding cpu in the bios
Brandon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried everything

I already sent it to get cleaned, its 100% clean like new, its still slowing down..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.