Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had this laptop for a long time. It started about a year ago crawling. I tried everything to no avail and purchased a new one. But I want this one as a back up. I found out it was not updated. I installed the updates and it worked like a charm for a couple of weeks, then crawled again. So I reinstalled windows but it still crawls.
It has to be a hardware issue no?

Thxs

Pat
Rectangle Font Circle Paper Parallel
Rectangle Font Circle Paper Parallel

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,254 Posts
The HDD/SSD may be failing. You can download DiskGenius in my signature. Select your disk go up to the toolbar to Disk/View SMART information. This will give you a quick snapshot of the health of your drive. If it is any less then Good, it needs to be replaced.
You can also go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Start Verify. This will take a long time but will give you a map of all the Bad Sectors on your drive, if any. If you have more then a couple, you do not need to finish the test, the drive needs to be replaced. Replace with an SSD drive and do a Clean Install of Windows.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HDD/SSD may be failing. You can download DiskGenius in my signature. Select your disk go up to the toolbar to Disk/View SMART information. This will give you a quick snapshot of the health of your drive. If it is any less then Good, it needs to be
Spunk.funk

I just did the “Disk/View SMARTinfo” and it says about “ Health status” “ WARNING!”
I don’t want to run the other long test, everything takes forever to do on the laptop.
How do I know which SSD HD I need?
Is it easy to do?

Thxs again

Pat

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,254 Posts
The instructions are pretty simple, but there are few steps I don't think are necessary. After Unplugging the battery from the Motherboard, you do not need to remove the battery from the computer. Just remember to plug it back in once you replace the drive. It might be easier to work with, but you also don't have to remove the HDD cable from the motherboard. Just gently pull off the failing HDD from the the HDD cable. Replace with a new 2.5" SATA SSD drive, whatever capacity is within your budget.
You now will need Windows install Media. On a working computer, download the Windows 10 ISO image, and burn it to a USB Flash Drive using the Media Creation Tool on the same page. Once completed, put the flash drive in the now reassembled laptop with the new SSD in it. Start the computer it should boot from the Flash drive, if not press F12 at bootup. This will give a Boot menu, choose the Flash drive to boot from. In the Installer, choose your Language, and Install Now. Windows will create partitions and format them during the Windows install. There are several YouTube videos showing you the whole process for reference.
If this all seems to daunting, take it to a local computer repair guy to do it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts