Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sony Slimline ( desktop/laptop ) unit. It came with one PC slot. I bought a Kanguru burner that came with their special cable ( $49 ) a foot long. One end has a 36 pin connector and the other is a pcmia card. I can't get my burner to initialize the plug and play routine, as I had to reinstall windows 98. At first, the tech told me that its my cable...its no good. I borrowed a friends laptop and tried it there, and Voila, it works beautifully...so much for a defected $49 cable or burner. My ? is how does one know if my pc slot is defective? I don't have any other product with a pcmia card to try it out.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
PCMCIA devices are notoriously tricky, and different PCMCIA chipsets and drivers can cause problems on one laptop with devices that work fine on other machines. I just went through this with two wireless Ethernet boards, finally just swapped the guy my Zoom for his SMC, since we could get them working that way, but the SMC wouldn't work in his machine no matter what we tried! The only thing I can think of is to try upgrading the card services drivers for your laptop and hope they've fixed the problem. Of course, the PCMCIA port could also be bad, hard to say without trying another device in it...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.