1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antec 1200 Full Tower Case
EVGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB Video Card (newest drivers)
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
BFG Tech ES SERIES 800W Continuous Power Supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Games that run perfectly with max settings include Half Life 2 and Warhammer Online. Games that run incredibly slow on the lowest settings include Far Cry 2 and Guild Wars. Benchmark test scores (3DMark Vantage) are also dismal.

GW in particular I completely do not understand, as I played it for over 3 years on the 5 year old XP system I replaced with no problems at all. I already RMA'ed the video card once and the power supply twice because they seemed to be the most likely causes of the performance issues, but nothing has helped. The PC has no other issues at all.

Anyone have any ideas why certain games are running so badly, and why my benchmark scores are coming up terrible?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Core Temp lists my 4 core temps as 40C, 36C, 35C, 33C

GPU-Z has my GPU temp at 45C

The CPU was already done with arctic silver.

I don't think these temperatures would ever cause any problems at all, and certainly wouldn't cause problems for only *some* programs 100% of the time, while never once causing problems for others.

*EDIT*

The recommended system specs for Guild Wars include:

Intel Pentium III 1GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series Video Card with 64MB of VRAM

And at the login screen, I'm getting bad FPS. Idle temperatures, nothing loading, just running like crap. It's the same for every other game that's affected. Some games like Half Life 2, which has recommended requirements of:

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card 256mb

Run perfectly at all max settings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No luck unfortunately. While I was in the Task Manager, I also saw the Compatibility mode option and set it for Windows XP, but that didn't help either.

What I did notice is that the priority is automatically set to Low. Even if I change it, it changes back once I restore-minimize again. Would it automatically be changing to Low only when the game is minimized, or is something forcing it to Low priority all the time, and could could be causing the performance issues?

EDIT:

Hmm, while it may have been a good thought, I checked another one of the games that runs poorly, and it doesn't have the same priority problem.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
For Far Cry 2 I would try this

Problem: Low fps in DX10 mode for FarCry 2. (1-10fps)

Cause: A service conflict

Solution: Disable Tablet PC Input Service and/or TabletServiceWacom from the services window in the control panel. Or use the search bar on the start bar and search for "Services".
Remember to active those services after you have finished playing as your PC needs them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stopping the Tablet PC Input Service didn't work. And that one looked actually promising too :(

I haven't been able to get any other program to duplicate the auto-Low priority like Guild Wars. It may have done that for whatever reason on my old system as well and I just never noticed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just download the new Nvidia drivers that they released yesterday, and that seems to have fixed whatever the problem was with most of the games.

Far Cry 2 is still running poorly though, but maybe there is nothing I can do about it :mad:

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
run all of games as administrator and change the security settings

right click on the game's exe
properties
compatibility
run as administrator

right click on the game's folder.
properties
security
edit (BUTTON)