Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new system build has the Intel i7 2600K chip with the Sandy Bridge platform on an Asus P8P67 LE motherboard. The system boots up and performs as expected. When shutting down the computer from Windows 7, the system automatically restarts after 3-4 seconds. If I press the power button while restarting, it will reset similar to crtl+alt-del and continues in a restart loop. I have to hold the power button for several seconds before the system shuts down; or turn off the power supply. Pressing and holding the power button is not ideal since you have to hold it for a specific amount of time (like exactly 5 sec; not more). If left alone, the computer, boots back into Windows fine.

This system runs on Windows 7 and has the drivers that came with the revision 3 board. This board has just been making it into the wild with the Revision 3 (post Sandy Bridge recall). Searching the web did not give me a definitive answer to this scenario.

Troubleshooting already performed
  • Disconnected the Power button and Reset button; started the computer with a paperclip.
  • Right-clicked Computer > Properties > Advanced System settings > Start Recovery > unchecked Reboot
  • Disabled all wakes in the Bios

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
the bios is set to go into sleep mode when you press once

to shut down when you hold the button in for 6 secs

if you want it to go off on a single press set the pwr button to instant off in the bios

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This situation exhausted my patience; so I returned the board and claimed that it was defective. It may have been defective, yet I did not have the extra computer parts and tools to continue troubleshooting the power going into the board. I even removed the motherboard from the case and ran it caseless. Each technical support personnel had different approaches including returning the board to the retailer. In the end, technical support did not resolve my scenario and gave me no traction in troubleshooting.

My only thought points to the Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller, which gives you 1 xUltraDMA, 1 xExternal SATA port, 1 xSATA. Try disabling the "Marvell Storage OPROM" controller in your bios (if you have no IDE drives). It could eliminate a conflict.

My solution was to return the product and upgrade to the Asus P8P67. This board had more bios revisions on the Asus website. And Guess what? I am no longer experiencing these issues. Good luck to anyone who stumbles on this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.