Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have just got my PC back from the repair shop after it has been broken for a while. I got it back with a fresh copy of windows so I could set everything up again as I liked it. Suddenly today for no obvious reason my PC has began restarting and random points for reasons I don't know. It's only done it 4 times now but fairly frequently. There is noting that connects the events together and makes it obvious what is causing it. I've done a bit of tweaking on the PC since I've done a bit of tweaking on the PC and turned of some services but I don't know if any of them would make the PC restart randomly.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causesing this and any ideas that can help me fix it.
thanks a lot
Steve

P

·
0 Posts
Do you have any system restore points ? Could you give us a list of the tweaks you did ? Is there any error messages in your event viewer ? ( control panel - administrative tools ) - pls do not paste the whole error log(s) just the names please-

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
provide us your computer hardware specs and ill see what i can do to help you.

hmmm........one thing you can do is to check your ram for any errors. you can check out www.majorgeeks.com and download memtest86 from the memory category. then put the program on a cd. restart your comupter and then go into the bios and change your first boot device to "cdrom." save settings and exit the bios.

the computer should automatically boot to memtest86 and the program will test your ram for any errors.

another thing you can do is to check the eventlog and see if the computer post any errors. right click on my computer -> click on manage -> and then click on eventviewer. then double click on applications and look for any "X" marks which indicates an error. then post the description here and we will all try to help you out more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Unfortunatly I don't have any restore points, but I followed the XP tweaking guide on www.tweakguides.com so i know which ones I have done. Things I have done include

1)Using Microsoft Bootvis to anylise and improve startup
2) cleared the Page file and creates a new one.
3) Have the hard drive check for errors
4)Optimized the registry with this tool. http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
5)The tweaks I have actually done to the reigstry have been small ones, visual tweaks and such, and decreaseing the time it takes for the menu to loads. I also turned of Autoplay on my CD drive but I have turned that back on now
6)Cleaned the registry with Reg Supreme
7)Used Cacheman Cacheman to do whatever it does. I'm no entirely sure but I have used it as told to in the Windows XP tweaking guide.
8) I turned of some things on Startup with MSConfig but they are all on now.
9) i went into BIOS to make some changes, but all I have done is turn on and of my on board sound card

Other than that all i've done is install some programs. Noticeably I installed Sygate personal firewall which failed to load completely but I have deleted that now and Finale notepad which didn't work so I uninstlalled it. I also tried to use a BIOS face wizard which is one of my motherboard tools, but i didn't know how to use it, so once i messed around with it a bit i turned un installed it.
In Reply to post 3, my hardware specs are..

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 207MB used, 1742MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5600XT

Thats everything I found in DXdiag. If there is another way there is anythign else you need to know, please ask. Thanks a lot
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.