Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
I'm having issues currently with my desktop computer, whenever I play something for a while my pc freezes momentarily and then the game proceeds to just crash to desktop.
If I'm playing a youtube video in the background the audio freezes on the last sound made until the computer freeze period is over.
I have no idea what is causing this issue or how to fix it, here's what I've tried so far:
1. Sfc /scannow
2. Dism
3. Reinstalling/Verifying game files
4. Updating my windows
5. Downgrading my nvidia drivers

I don't know if this has anything to do with this issue, but windows task manager also closes automatically after like a minute or two after opening, i have recorded several clips of this happening.

If anyone is familiar with this issue or knows how to fix it I'd really appreciate it thanks!
Specs: 3060 Ti, Ryzen 5600x, 16 gb 3200 mhz ram, 700 W psu

I would also like to add that I have made sure this isn't a harddrive issue as I have downloaded and installed those same games on an SSD and the problem still persists

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Instead of Alt-Tabbing, run games in full-screen windowed mode and use Winkey-D to change active programs from the Taskbar.

Read here as to why Alt-Tabbing oftentimes doesn't work well with games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/xtg6ug
Tt doesn't matter if I run the game in windowed fullscreen or switch windows using windows + d or windows shift tab, the same thing always happens - my pc freezes momentarily and the game crashes after a set period of time

I would also like to add that this has only started happening recently, as before the very same games worked perfectly fine without any crashes

Also after some testing I have figured out that my pc will freeze regardless of any alt tab or window switching and as such decided to rename the post to fit the issue

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
Then Do a System Restore to a time when everything was working correctly.
You can also try a Clean Boot. If this works, you can add one Startup Item or Service until the PC starts crashing, then you will know the culprit.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then Do a System Restore to a time when everything was working correctly. You can also try a Clean Boot. If this works, you can add one Startup Item or Service until the PC starts crashing, then you will know the culprit.
Hi, I have done a Safe Mode boot and as a matter of fact my task manager works just fine in safe mode, so that's neat, I'm gonna try the services thing but honestly I'm not very knowledgeable in that so I'm not sure how this will go

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, actually disabling every service did not help, however I find it weird my computer works fine when in safe mode, it must be some sort of program but I don't really know how to find out which one
Okay so, after literally hours of testing, I have found the culprit, It was something to do with my Microsoft office having a shoddy crack from kmsauto site, I always knew that site was a pile of garbage but to think they would defile a well trusted developers program to plant a virus of some sort inside of it is just next level, anyways yeah mystery solved I guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts