Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I bought a PC a little over a year ago now and for a good amount of time it was perfect, until recently my audio has started stuttering and just being weird at times. It isn't just something that will happen a few times a day, however, as some days I'll start my PC and it will have the audio lag, and other days it will be fine all day. As well as this, I've gone from having 100-300 fps in most games to getting 30-90. I factory reset my entire PC last month when I started getting these problems, and it seems to have made things worse. My windows is completely up to date, so I was wondering if anyone could help me.

Thanks!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Make sure your audio drivers are up to date. Video drivers also. If you use nVidia, the monthly 3D download updates both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure your audio drivers are up to date. Video drivers also. If you use nVidia, the monthly 3D download updates both.
My audio drivers and video drivers are completely up to date, so I don't think that's the problem, though I thought that too at first. What should I do now?

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
What is the make and model # of your Computer or Motherboard?
Press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager. Expand Display. Take note of your GPU (Display Adapter/Video Card) Go to the manufacturers download drivers site and download the latest driver. Go to the Computer or Motherboard download drivers site and download the latest Audio driver.
You can also try a Clean Boot. If that works, you can keep it this way, or your can add one startup or service item at a time until the behavior returns, then you will know the culprit.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the make and model # of your Computer or Motherboard?
Press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager. Expand Display. Take note of your GPU (Display Adapter/Video Card) Go to the manufacturers download drivers site and download the latest driver. Go to the Computer or Motherboard download drivers site and download the latest Audio driver.
You can also try a Clean Boot. If that works, you can keep it this way, or your can add one startup or service item at a time until the behavior returns, then you will know the culprit.
I've installed the newest video drivers for my GPU.

My motherboard is the ASUSTeK M5A78L-M/USB3, and the version is Rev X.0x. I'm not too sure how to download the latest audio drivers for this motherboard however, so if you could help me with that that would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
Go to the Asus web site, type in your Make and Model #. the latest drivers for this board are for Windows 7 64bit. Select this. Or use this link. M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3|Motherboards|ASUS USA
Download the Chipset and the Audio driver separately. Unzip each download to your desktop or download location. Open the folder and Right click Asus Setup.exe and choose Properties, Compatibility tab. P:ut a check in Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7. Also put a check in the box to Run as Administrator. Apply and Ok. Double click Asus Setup.exe to install the driver. Do the Chipset Driver First, Restart the computer and then install the Audio driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to the Asus web site, type in your Make and Model #. the latest drivers for this board are for Windows 7 64bit. Select this. Or use this link. M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3|Motherboards|ASUS USA
Download the Chipset and the Audio driver separately. Unzip each download to your desktop or download location. Open the folder and Right click Asus Setup.exe and choose Properties, Compatibility tab. P:ut a check in Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7. Also put a check in the box to Run as Administrator. Apply and Ok. Double click Asus Setup.exe to install the driver. Do the Chipset Driver First, Restart the computer and then install the Audio driver.
Thanks a lot for the help!

I've installed the drivers you've suggested and I've also performed a clean boot, and I'll be sure to update this post if my performance improves. Lastly, do you have any tips for improving the overall speed of my computer to what it was when I first got it? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: The problems been completely resolved, thank you so much for the help. Let me know if theres anything I can do to improve the speed of my computer to what it was when I first got it!

Thanks so much!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Everybody seems to think FPS are limited by the GPU. Actually it's the CPU. Also play on an Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi. If you want further info, we need your specs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you got it sorted and we could help!
Corday His motherboard specs are in Post # 6
It's been two weeks since I posted this and the exact same problems have started happening again. My FPS has again decreased from the normal 150+ to 40 or below, and the audio lag has started again in the past two days. I don't know why it's randomly started again after the problem was fixed.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts
One of the reasons might well be because every minute of every day -- 24/7/365 non-stop -- hackers are trying to figure out how to infiltrate anything and everything they can. Because of this, Microsoft and thousands of others must make changes to their software (and hardware) in order to help and keep the bad guys out.

Sometimes these 'changes' screw things up, either a lot or a little. After a bit, they'll figure out what they did wrong and get their updates tuned just right and things will go back to normal . . . or as normal as can be in the new environment.

Then tomorrow, the hackers find another little hole in something that they start to try and take advantage of. It's the same old cat and mouse game ... over and over and over ...ad nauseam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the reasons might well be because every minute of every day -- 24/7/365 non-stop -- hackers are trying to figure out how to infiltrate anything and everything they can. Because of this, Microsoft and thousands of others must make changes to their software (and hardware) in order to help and keep the bad guys out.

Sometimes these 'changes' screw things up, either a lot or a little. After a bit, they'll figure out what they did wrong and get their updates tuned just right and things will go back to normal . . . or as normal as can be in the new environment.

Then tomorrow, the hackers find another little hole in something that they start to try and take advantage of. It's the same old cat and mouse game ... over and over and over ...ad nauseam.
so is there nothing i can really do to fix it? it was fine for the first 5 months or so i had my pc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts