Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the scoop im at my wits end with my compy i have no idea whats wrong with it. whats happening is when i turn it on (everything is plugged up correctly) the monitor will not recieve signals from my computer all the moniter say is "This is a monitor self test, Your Monitor is wirking fine, Please check your computers power and moniter cabels".... Of well i did that and it still dowsnt work i went and go 4 differnt other power cabels and it still dosent work so ithought maybe it was the monitor so then i went and borroed 2 other different monitors and both of then didnt work. But the weird thing is that like 45min-1hour ago it was working perfectly at my dads house but when i brought it here it just will not work!!!Ive done this 2 other times with the same result. so i thought myabe its my video card(Radeon 9100)so i brought it back to my dads and plugged it in and it worked. but i broughtr it back over here and it dosent. So i then i thought myabe its the outlet so i got a new power strip and eerything ent into 4 or 5 differnt rooms upstaris and dfownstaris(+the Garage) And it still will not work!! but the weird thing is about 1 or 1 and a half months ago my computer was working just fine over here. but then we had a lan party at my dads house so i brought it over. but as soon as i took it over here Bam it wont work! So i think it might be that the house dosent have enough power to support my computer could this atually be a problem? so i asked my dad and he said that my problem might be fixed if i got a APC but i really dont wana go blow $70 for a nice APC and plus i dont even know if that is the problem. I am typing form my parents computer in their room and i actually Plugged me computer into there room and the same thing happend. Has anyone ever had his problem becasue ive been around computers since i was 6 years old and we build all our own compys. Oh and another thing when i turn on my computer the message on my moitor goes off for like .5 of a second then it comes on again then once i have waited awhile i turn my computer off and it does it again and my monitor goes blank for about 2-4 seconds then the nasty red greed blue sign come on again!! Plz someone help me
Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could tryy that but i dont have a extra video card at my moms house ill have to wait until i go to my dads sunday evening but the thing is i tried it litearly 30 minutes before i plugged it in at my moms house and it worked but now that its here it wont. I tried what you said and reseated my video crad and the whole bit but it just wasnt working (Its a 9100 =\) Hopefully by next month ill be upgradeing my compy from a 20gig hard drive P3 833 9100 and 512 to a 200gig dard drive a AMD Sempron 2600 1.6 9800Pro all in wonder 1 gig of Corsar ddr vaule and a nice chaintech mother board so i was wonder if i did all that would it fix my problem becuase like a month before this my dad put in a 9100 (i used to have a 9600Pro) but it worked here until 2 weeks later it didnt! so ill try a new video crad when i can but i dont think thats it cuz its works fine at my dads....Oh and i tried my other slots nothing seems to be happening for me
Jon

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It sounds like the problem is in the monitor cable, not the power cable. Are you using the same monitor cable at both houses? If you are, then

Since it works at one house and not the other, it is not a computer problem, but a power issue of some sort in the one house. I read about the same monitor issue before but it occured in an office building where the monitors worked fine until they moved there offices to another part of the building. The issue was either aluminum wiring or a phase issue (an electrical term). I would suggest you do some google searches on electrical wiring forums and post there. You might also call your power company and see if they made any repairs in the area that would affect the phase of the wiring in your area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.