Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PC power failure after Hd install

I just installed a new 500 gb hd to replace 160 gb hd that went bad. After hd install and fresh install of XP pro everything worked great. The next morning at bootup all was normal and all of the sudden it shut down. No power nothing. The little green light on the back of the computer comes on when I plug in the power supply but when I hit the power button the light goes out and nothing at all. The pc is a HP a630n with PTGD1-LA motherboard and Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. I would appreciate any ideas.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Since you were recently working in the computer it would be a good idea to go in and reseat all the leads from the power supply to the motherboard just in case you dislodged one.
The next suspect would be power supply failure, the psu would have to be completely dead because usually they will at least turn fans on even if they are bad, there is a test to see if its completely dead but will cover that later after you reseat the leads.

The last would be motherboard failure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, all leads have been checked and are seated properly. I also checked the power supply by using a volt meter on the psu lead. I was instructed how to do so via you tube vid. I can't remember what the readings were but they were all within the specified range.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Disconnect all data cables from the motherboard (ie: HDD, DVD, etc.), remove all addon cards (ie: video card, sound card, etc.), and remove the RAM. You should then have only a bare MB with cpu and only the power cables connected. Try to power up.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Its sounds as though the motherboard is bad that is if you are sure the psu is good, it would be a good idea to try another psu in it just in case see if you can barrow one.

Most times if a motherboard is bad it still will power fans but show nothing on the screen so this is a bit unusual but not unheard of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.