Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. so, I have this computer... that was given to me. It turns on at first, stays on for like 20 minutes, then shuts off and wont start up again... actually, it starts for like a second or two and then shuts off... okay i dunno what to do with it. i tried messing with it to get it to work, nothing...

So then i leave it off for a week or two, and i start it up, and it stays on for 20 min! then shuts off... I have no idea what to do...

HELP!

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Couple of things you can try.

Make sure the power supply fan in the back of the computer is putting out some air. If not, buy a new power supply.

Other thing is pull the cover off, and make sure the fan that is on top of the CPU is spinning. If not at all or slow, buy a new cpu fan.

With the info you have given, these are my best recommendations.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It's probably the power supply. If it was the CPU fan or heat sink, the computer will have already died after 20 minutes. Try swapping out the power supply with a new one or one from another computer.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i actually dont agree with fox.

i had someone tell me that their machine had been shutting off after 20 minutes, and that it had been that way for about 3 months.

they also said it would turn back on, but shut right back off. (exactly what this person is describing)

they were still using it everyday to check email.

the processor fan had locked up completely, and the motherboard had been shutting it down at 70 celcuis.

after more than 200 of these shutdowns, a new fan and the machine is still going strong.

~BoB~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, check and make sure your power settings aren't making it go into standby or hibernate. These things are really only for laptops, my desktop PC always detested any kind of power saving modes and locked up and did other weird things when I tried to use them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.