Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TechSupport Forum,

Me and my husband have built a few computers. This the first time I've posted (or my husband) on a computer forum for advice. So we do have some experience with computers, and computer components. Will try to describe the problem in shortest (and most detailed) as possible.

System specs:

Intel i9 10850KF
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z490
Samsung 970 evo
Corsair 32 gig ram
Seasonic 750w Prime Platinum
Zotac 1070 6GB (old graphics card used in previous system for three years with zero issues)

Two monitors:

Lenovo Legion Y27gp-20 (27 inch 1440p 240hz)
LG 4k 27 inch (60hz)

The beginning:

- New computer build 1.5 months ago. Computer has worked fine with integrated graphics with both monitors. Boots up normal, shows bios etc. and works normal. Used for approximately 1.5 months without graphics card, no issues.

This is what happened after graphics card installation:

- Installed Zotac 1070 card, also hooked up both monitors (shown above). No signal to either monitor, a few seconds later... reaches windows 10 login screen (skips bios with no signal message on both screens). When I reach the login screen only the Lenovo is detected and has a signal. LG monitor refuses to receive signal. Both monitors are connected via display port on the video card (not motherboard).

- Zotac 1070 card was used in previous computer (windows 7) with zero issues. Zotac 1070 card performs fine with new computer, frame rates are as expected in all games.

- After further problem solving, LG monitor will not receive signal from Zotac card (all black no signal, cannot enter into Windows 10 or bios on this monitor). Although, the LG monitor will receive signal from integrated graphics (when plugged into the motherboard) and will enter into bios and Windows 10. No problems when plugged into motherboard directely, and Lenovo monitor is left unplugged from graphics card.

- Further problem solving, enter into bios with LG monitor using integrated graphics. Bios shows motherboard is set to "auto" for detecting graphics, and is prioritizing PCIE 1 for graphics and NOT integrated graphics. I thought about disabling integrated graphics altogether, but motherboard should auto detect video card on boot-up and not attempt to use integrated graphics. Although, it would appear the motherboard is attempted to use integrated graphics first...or something else is happening with windows 10 or the graphics card.

- I have tried to connect the LG monitor by itself in all the different ports on the graphics card, it still refuses to receive a signal. The LG monitor worked fine with the graphics card on my old system (with Windows 7).

- Unable to reach bios with either monitor when connected via display port on graphics card, no signal for a few seconds until Window 10 screen is reached. Then Lenovo monitor is the only monitor which receives a signal via display port on graphics card.

- I have tried connecting Lenovo to graphics card, and LG monitor to integrated graphics ... and only the Lenovo was able to connect (but still skipped start up screens and bios... and finally received signal at Windows 10 screen).

Any help would be appreciated! I am thinking the problem is not going to be too difficult to solve for someone who has encountered a similar issue!

Kind regards,

Joy

Any help would be appreciated! I am thinking the problem is not going to be too difficult to solve for someone who has encountered a similar issue!

Kind regards,

Joy

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,680 Posts
I thought about disabling integrated graphics altogether, but motherboard should auto detect video card on boot-up and not attempt to use integrated graphics. Although, it would appear the motherboard is attempted to use integrated graphics first...or something else is happening with windows 10 or the graphics card.
That is the very first thing I do when I install a GPU with a system that has an imbedded or intergraded GPU......it just simplifies the video part. Yes your right, it should and supposed to disable the onboard GPU....but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and one is forced to manually disable it. It's like a laptop with dual graphics that's supposed to be switchable but 90% of the time it never works correctly.

Then there's the legacy aspect of the GPU.....this deals with the UEFI. Some GPUs just don't play nice or work correctly with the UEFI setting on certain mobos. Either a BIOS update for the mobo or a driver update for the GPU is needed. Or....change the settings in the BIOS from "ONLY" UEFI mode to UEFI/Legacy mode. While your in there....see if you can disable secure boot and see if that makes a difference.

Then there's the monitors; sometimes they require a specific type/version of a cable to play nice with the system to reach the 240hz refresh rate. Example: for the 240hz refresh rate, a DP cable with version 1.4 is needed vs the old 1.2 cable. Check your monitor specs for both as to what cable is need to max out the refresh rate.

Don't hold me to those numbers as I don't actually know off hand what the current DP cable version is....ie 1.4 or 1.6 or what ever it its.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the very first thing I do when I install a GPU with a system that has an imbedded or intergraded GPU......it just simplifies the video part. Yes your right, it should and supposed to disable the onboard GPU....but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and one is forced to manually disable it. It's like a laptop with dual graphics that's supposed to be switchable but 90% of the time it never works correctly.

Then there's the legacy aspect of the GPU.....this deals with the UEFI. Some GPUs just don't play nice or work correctly with the UEFI setting on certain mobos. Either a BIOS update for the mobo or a driver update for the GPU is needed. Or....change the settings in the BIOS from "ONLY" UEFI mode to UEFI/Legacy mode. While your in there....see if you can disable secure boot and see if that makes a difference.

Then there's the monitors; sometimes they require a specific type/version of a cable to play nice with the system to reach the 240hz refresh rate. Example: for the 240hz refresh rate, a DP cable with version 1.4 is needed vs the old 1.2 cable. Check your monitor specs for both as to what cable is need to max out the refresh rate.

Don't hold me to those numbers as I don't actually know off hand what the current DP cable version is....ie 1.4 or 1.6 or what ever it its.
You are right, it's 1.4 display port cable (or 2.1 HDMI) to reach 1440p and 240hz. The current cable being used does support 1.4 and 1440p with 240hz (been using for awhile).

I will take your advice and complete the next step, to disable integrated graphics on the motherboard and hope that fixes the issue. I will also look at changing the settings on the motherboard to UEFI/legacy mode, or will look at rolling back the drivers on GPU (if that doesn't work). But, GPU is using newest drivers and motherboard has newest update.

I do think it has something to do with motherboard though at this point, because it's skipping bios with no signal to monitor and going right to Windows 10 screen. I've been really busy though and haven't disabled integrated graphics, and wanted to make sure the video card (Zotac 1070) would be reliably read by mobo before I continued with that next step. I've taken out the Zotac 1070 three times now, and it's been read by the mobo each time... so I guess I rely on it being picked up by motherboard when I disable integrated graphics.

Thank you! I will try those next steps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I wanted to respond with what I ended up doing -- to possible help others. I ended up enabling IGPU for first reading at boot up, instead of PCIE. Also, instead of auto for graphics, I set IGPU. This made it so the Aorus Master read the IGPU first, and I was able to get the LG monitor working through the motherboard HDMI. Then I used the graphics card to read the Lenovo. This ends up being a decent solution to actually two problems. First could not enter bios from dedicated graphics alone, and second problem, LG monitor could not receive a signal from dedicated graphics card. So I am able to use both monitors with this set-up. And using IGPU as non gaming monitor is a decent solution.

I appreciate the response and the help!

·
2,680 Posts
I wanted to respond with what I ended up doing -- to possible help others. I ended up enabling IGPU for first reading at boot up, instead of PCIE. Also, instead of auto for graphics, I set IGPU. This made it so the Aorus Master read the IGPU first, and I was able to get the LG monitor working through the motherboard HDMI. Then I used the graphics card to read the Lenovo. This ends up being a decent solution to actually two problems. First could not enter bios from dedicated graphics alone, and second problem, LG monitor could not receive a signal from dedicated graphics card. So I am able to use both monitors with this set-up. And using IGPU as non gaming monitor is a decent solution.

I appreciate the response and the help!
You managed a fix to get the monitors up and running.....good job. You still have an inherent GPU issue. No matter what you do on your PC......any video processing is now solely handled by the CPU. When you game....your CPU is handling the GPU aspect and depending on the game....the game will start to glitch, lag, skip and so forth. Then there's a possible over heating issue from inadequate cooling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You managed a fix to get the monitors up and running.....good job. You still have an inherent GPU issue. No matter what you do on your PC......any video processing is now solely handled by the CPU. When you game....your CPU is handling the GPU aspect and depending on the game....the game will start to glitch, lag, skip and so forth. Then there's a possible over heating issue from inadequate cooling.
Hello Bassfisher,

I probably didn't explain what I did good enough. The IGPU is being read first (rather than the PCIE slot), this allows the motherboard IGPU to work for my LG monitor. The Lenovo monitor is plugged into the dedicated graphics card (the 1070 Zotac). All graphics for the LG are being handled by the IGPU, while all graphics for the Lenovo is being handled by the 1070. This did not shut down dedicated graphics for the Lenovo, still works fine....1440p 240hz gaming no problems.

This is a solution that works for me because I use the Lenovo for gaming, while I use the LG for web browsing. I could have disabled IGPU altogether, and enabled dedicated graphics (instead of "auto mode"). But, that might not have solved the issue with the graphics card and motherboard "not" recognizing my LG monitor. For some reason the 1070 card along with my motherboard would not recognize my LG monitor.

In my old system, the 1070 card would recognize both the LG and Lenovo with no problems (for years no problems). However, when I set up my new computer the LG could not be recognized by the 1070. Probably has something to do with the drivers in the graphics card (they are updated to new) or the drivers in the motherboard. Anyways, this was all very weird.

·
2,680 Posts
I understand what your said......that's not the point of my comment. All your gaming and everything else you do on the compute that requires a GPU....is solely run/handled by your CPU. You're not using your GPU at all......except for the monitor to work. Just because your monitor is now working doesn't mean you are actually using the GPU for it's intended purpose.

If you want to run it like that.....have at it. It's just a temporary fix and mark my words....you will start having problems when you start to game and your system crashes and starts producing BSOD's.

IMO: it's either a wrong cable, wrong cable position.....on GPU. There is a primary port and it's usually the first port/slot and usually a HDMI or DP. Or you need to change the positions of the monitors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand what your said......that's not the point of my comment. All your gaming and everything else you do on the compute that requires a GPU....is solely run/handled by your CPU. You're not using your GPU at all......except for the monitor to work. Just because your monitor is now working doesn't mean you are actually using the GPU for it's intended purpose.

If you want to run it like that.....have at it. It's just a temporary fix and mark my words....you will start having problems when you start to game and your system crashes and starts producing BSOD's.

IMO: it's either a wrong cable, wrong cable position.....on GPU. There is a primary port and it's usually the first port/slot and usually a HDMI or DP. Or you need to change the positions of the monitors.

I see why you would think that, after I enabled IGPU as first read (and not PCEI). Also, I enabled IGPU, and one would think that would disable GPU... but not for this motherboard. Dedicated graphics is working for the second monitor (the Lenovo), and system clearly shows dedicated graphics is enabled for Lenovo. And as clear evidence, there is no way I can could even boot up and run Cyber Punk 2077 at even 10fps with the IGPU, the system (as you said) with IGPU would crash. My integrated graphics (630) are not even powerful enough to run one the less demanding games I play (Elder Scrolls Online), that game would be 20fps... and I wouldn't be able to play it. I know this because I tried running ESO on my with integrated graphics, and was unable to run the game (prior to the dedicated graphics 1070 swap).

So no, the dedicated graphics card (1070) is working fine, otherwise (as you said) I would be getting black screens and system crashes. Not the case at all, everything is running normal. Obviously, with the LG monitor running integrated graphics there is no way I could game using that monitor. But, I use the LG (with IGPU) for web browsing only. The only games you can run on integrated graphics are basic pixel games, such as Dead Cells, and Hollow Knight. You can't run big games on integrated graphics will cause system crashes and overheat your system.

As I said when this problem first started, I have built multiple computers and I am not a computer novice. But, the problems with this motherboard are found across the web. The issues I've run into are the same as some others here on the web. I have also tried different display port cables and different ports on the GPU (for the LG) and none of them worked. Only the Lenovo monitor could be detected by the 1070, and for some reason the LG could not receive a signal.

·
2,680 Posts
Cutom built PC's don't work like laptops with switchable graphics....and that's what your telling me your doing. It's not possible....it's either one or the other. Despite what you have got setup to work....you're only using the IGFX fo your CPU. Regardless of what the reports are saying about that particular mobo issues....it' just doesn't work that way.

Unless there is a BIOS setting to allow switchable and then enabling that feature....Which I've not seen or heard of before. Otherwise it's not going to work. To confirm this....just get any hardware monitoring software to monitor temps.....then find your GPU and you'll be surprised to find only the IGFX is listed and not your actual GPU.

If there is a know issue for your mobo....I'd start looking at a BIOS update that may address the issue as well as any other drivers that need updated. I see quite a few chipset drivers and a BIOS update that looks promising.
Z490 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

As long as your happy with it.....that's all that matters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cutom built PC's don't work like laptops with switchable graphics....and that's what your telling me your doing. It's not possible....it's either one or the other. Despite what you have got setup to work....you're only using the IGFX fo your CPU. Regardless of what the reports are saying about that particular mobo issues....it' just doesn't work that way.

Unless there is a BIOS setting to allow switchable and then enabling that feature....Which I've not seen or heard of before. Otherwise it's not going to work. To confirm this....just get any hardware monitoring software to monitor temps.....then find your GPU and you'll be surprised to find only the IGFX is listed and not your actual GPU.

If there is a know issue for your mobo....I'd start looking at a BIOS update that may address the issue as well as any other drivers that need updated. I see quite a few chipset drivers and a BIOS update that looks promising.
Z490 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

As long as your happy with it.....that's all that matters.
I still don't think you understand what's going on, maybe I have not explained the whole situation good enough. And that can happen on here. But, I do have integrated graphics working for the LG as a seperate monitor, and dedicated graphics working for the Lenovo. Both are working on seperate monitors. Maybe that explains the situation better, I don't know.

Regardless of what you think, and what I think... the proof of everything working is based on performance.

Cyber Punk 2077 at a stable 45 fps on medium settings. Elder Scrolls online at a stable 60 to100fps in town. It's impossible to achieve those numbers with integrated graphics.

·
2,680 Posts
I still don't think you understand what's going on, maybe I have not explained the whole situation good enough. And that can happen on here. But, I do have integrated graphics working for the LG as a seperate monitor, and dedicated graphics working for the Lenovo. Both are working on seperate monitors. Maybe that explains the situation better, I don't know.
You've explained it 3 different ways....I get it.....

What you don't understand as it doesn't work that way.....you can't use both GPU at the same time. You can only use one at a time.....just like a internet connection.....ie wifi or ehternet cable. You have both options to use either one....but you can't use wifi and eithenet cable at the same time same.

By enabling the the GPU on the CPU in the bios, it's now the default GPU and the system will only use that GPU. This is the same deal with laptops that have dual GPU's. it will only use one....by default the APU is first. Then when needed the other will kick in.....this is called switchable graphics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts