Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out what could be wrong with my PC, its a brand new, self-build so all the parts are new.

Spec

Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel Pentium i7 920 2.66Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UDR3
6GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 XXX Edition 512mb GDDR3
600w PSU

The PC boots fine and sits idle without freezing however when I open a game, namely world of warcraft, it lets me play for a few moments then freezes completely, can still move the mouse pointer about but nothing else. It has also frozen up when I have about half-a-dozen different applications open at once. I've updated all the drivers. I've stress tested the cpu to 100% with no ill effects and done the same with the graphics card and nothing has gone wrong.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt.

Note: wasn't entirely sure this was the right place to post this so feel free to move it if need be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rthdribl - Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting - For the GPU

Prime95 for the CPU

I've just had a reply from the place I bought the parts and they say the PSU I have should be more than adequete to handle the hardware I'm using.

Any other ideas what could be wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn;t do the psu test because it's for directx9 and I'm running dx10 I believe. Did the other tests with no errors but the core temperatures hit about 60-65*C, that likely to be an issue?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes! That is way to hot!! What heat sink and fan are you using? is it stock? also, what thermal paste are you using? Just to give you an idea, i have a quad core 3.0ghz amd phenom running at 43c with the same test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.