Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've amassed a plethora of problems.

I'll post my laptop specs below the list of problems.

Cursor and screen freezes, have to reboot several times to unstick it.

Get blue screen of death with different error messages if I jar the
laptop or move it too quickly.

Windows repair doesn't work. Starts, progresses, then error message.

Windows restore doesn't work. Starts, progresses, then error message.

Windows update sometimes can't update.

I get a white screen then I have to slap the laptop to get back to normal screen or it just will go back to normal screen or not.

I will get a black screen with a multi-colored hair thin line on left side of the screen.

Now, Windows start icon won't work.

Whirring noise from fan.

I'm on an old Gateway NV79 using Windows 10. Same problems with Windows 7 then upgraded to 8.1 then upgraded to 10. Same problems.

Checked monitor attachment but it seems solid.

I've got new battery but that's about all I've needed to replace. This is one excellent machine. Best computer I've ever had bar none. Thanks for any replies.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,458 Posts
Hi, :wave: and welcome to TSF.

Get blue screen of death with different error messages if I jar the
laptop or move it too quickly.
I have to slap the laptop to get back to normal screen
This sounds like a hardware issue to me but I'm not an expert. I've seen lots of good solutions here in the forums but giving it a 'slap' is not one that I recall. :grin:

How old is the machine?

Have you checked for build up of dust/dirt accumulation in the vents and inside the laptop?

Is it getting hot? Do you know how to check temps? If not, Speccy will give you that information.

Please follow our http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ions-windows-10-8-1-8-7-and-vista-452654.html

Also;

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

Please note: There are other methods of posting the report, but this way all sensitive information is removed.

Might be good to know the exact text of any error messages you have seen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.